We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Cape Cod visit! Any advice?

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
56 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
First Cape Cod visit! Any advice?

My husband and I will be visiting Cape Cod for the first time (well, he was there as a child; I've never been there) in a few weeks. We are staying in South Yarmouth at the Surfcomber on the Ocean. We don't have any kids, but we'll be traveling with his sister, her husband, and our nephew and niece (almost 15 and 8).

Right now, we don't have anything scheduled. The one thing I'd definitely like to do is to go on a whale watch, but other than that, we are completely open. Any thoughts, ideas, recommendations? I'm open to any general advice anyone might wish to share!

Mentioned in this post
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
South Yarmouth
South Yarmouth
Cape Cod, MA
Surfcomber on the Ocean
Surfcomber on the Ocean
178 Reviews
South Yarmouth, MA
Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: First Cape Cod visit! Any advice?

I want to go to the Sanctuary, CC! Sounds great, really. I wonder if this group might enjoy the flea market at the Wellfleet Drive In

Mentioned in this post
Wellfleet
Wellfleet
Cape Cod, MA
Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
56 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: First Cape Cod visit! Any advice?

Thanks CockleCove! I could doing the fish printing with my SIL (and maybe my niece); not the men though. :p

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: First Cape Cod visit! Any advice?

You might be surprised, btobey. My brother took his college grad men to Alaska to fish salmon and halibut and the fish printing was a highlight. Your men might also like to skim board. You'll figure it out.

Falmouth...
Level Contributor
687 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: First Cape Cod visit! Any advice?

Regarding the 8 yo on the whale watch...suggest you have some other activity for her to bring along. Sometimes a four-hour trip (or maybe longer) is a little long for that age. (Perhaps the 15 yo as well?)

It doesn't matter if you go from Provincetown or Barnstable (Hyannis) or Plymouth for a whale-watch. Everyone goes to see the same whales. Parking in Barnstable is much easier than Provincetown and might make a big difference.

Cheers,

Harry

Mentioned in this post
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA
Hyannis
Hyannis
Cape Cod, MA
Plymouth
Plymouth
Massachusetts
Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: First Cape Cod visit! Any advice?

Though hinted, but not said explicitly, above, I suggest that the best advice that anyone can give and get is that there is not one Cape, no matter the seeming similarities in any of the literature previewed. First, it's bigger than you might expect. Second, each of its coasts is unique. Third, each of its towns is different. But when you're done with not much - a most honorable pursuit - it's not very long to get to another, quite different, experience.

16. Re: First Cape Cod visit! Any advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2017, 22:18
Get answers to your questions about South Yarmouth