We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Woods Hole from Boston or Providence

Rockville, MD
Level Contributor
692 posts
288 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Woods Hole from Boston or Providence

My husband has been invited to a conference at Woods Hole in July. We need to get there Wed. July 14, and can leave either Sat. or Sun. (July 17 or 18). We can fly Southwest from Baltimore to either Boston or Providence (actually Warwick, RI) and then rent a car to drive to Woods Hole. I'm thinking it would be better to fly to Providence because the airport might be less busy than Logan and the roads/traffic in the airport area might be easier to navigate. We need to make reservations in the next few days, so please advise on the best way to get to Woods Hole and how much driving time to allow to/from Boston or Warwick. Thanks!

Rockville, MD
Level Contributor
692 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Getting to Woods Hole from Boston or Providence

I didn't consider taking a bus partly because I don't like bus travel and partly because I didn't think it would work with our tight schedule. If our flight doesn't bring us in just the right time to catch a bus, I don't want to wait up to 2 hours for the next one. And we will probably have to leave Woods Hole pretty early Saturday or Sunday morning to catch a late morning flight, so I thought it would be better to have a car so we can leave when we need to rather than depending on the bus schedule. But I read somewhere that parking in town is very difficult and that it's best to park outside of the town and take a shuttle bus into town (from Falmouth?). We might want to do this as long as we can get a shuttle or taxi back to the lot early in the morning when we leave.

The unknown factors here are where our lodging is in Woods Hole and whether it offers parking. My husband has not yet received the conference registration; hopefully we will be able to make a better plan once he gets this.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Getting to Woods Hole from Boston or Providence

That's okay. I realize there's circumstances that come into play when planning a trip.

I really think your best bet if you rent the car but need to park it is the Palmer Ave (route 28) parking lot in Falmouth. BUT, you'll have to pay $12/day to park it there. This is the parking lot used by people taking the ferry from Woods Hole to Martha's Vineyard. It's located some 2-3 miles from the ferry dock and has a free shuttle service between the parking lot and the ferry dock. The ferry dock is right in the heart of Woods Hole.

I'm unaware of any express parks nearby the bridges. And parking way out and taking a taxi to Woods Hole would be quite expensive.

Does this parking arrangement work for you?

Atlantic Coast
Level Contributor
289 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Getting to Woods Hole from Boston or Providence

I always think it's a good idea to have a car while visiting the Cape. Even short drives can bring you to a beautiful place that can give you yet another perspective of this special destination. So, given all your information, I'd suggest you save some money and fly into Boston, rent a car at Logan and enjoy your brief stay as best you can.

Rockville, MD
Level Contributor
692 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Getting to Woods Hole from Boston or Providence

Thanks, Will007, that parking info is what I needed. If our lodging offers free parking and/or is not convenient to the ferry dock, we may bring the car into town. Otherwise, I don't mind paying to leave the car outside of town.

Thanks to MaggieMae043 and everyone else for your helpful advice. I may post again when we receive conference lodging info.

15. Re: Getting to Woods Hole from Boston or Providence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2010, 01:23
Get answers to your questions about Woods Hole