We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ALL Boston MBTA free 4/24 - Lunch in Worcester?

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
174 posts
430 reviews
Save Topic
ALL Boston MBTA free 4/24 - Lunch in Worcester?

To make up for the winter outages all MBTA train, bus, subway, boats will be free tomorrow. We are a senior couple who are thinking of taking the commuter rail to Worcester . We are wondering about a place for lunch near the station. Sit down , not too noisy. Chain like 99 would be fine or non chain similar preferred. Is there such a place a short walk from the station or one a short cab ride away and are cabs readily available at the station?

Mentioned in this post
Worcester
Worcester
Massachusetts
Boston...
Level Contributor
19,902 posts
634 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ALL Boston MBTA free 4/24 - Lunch in Worcester?

From Cambridge, wouldn't the Fitchburg line be easier to get to? And there's a 99 in West Concord, right near the station. Along with other options as well.

Also the Concord station on that line has a bunch of restaurants nearby, and then Bedford Farms for ice cream for dessert!

Edited: 23 April 2015, 12:56
Mentioned in this post
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
Bedford
Bedford
Pennsylvania
Cambridge...
Level Contributor
174 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ALL Boston MBTA free 4/24 - Lunch in Worcester?

Thanks for this. Actually we can leave from North Station, South Station or Porter Square so any of the lines would work. We were kind of looking for the longest ride :) thus Worcester but will give your suggestion serious thought. Just looking for a nice outing. Might look at Providence too.

Mentioned in this post
Porter Square
Porter Square
54 Reviews
Cambridge, MA
Providence
Providence
Rhode Island
Boston...
Level Contributor
3,766 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: ALL Boston MBTA free 4/24 - Lunch in Worcester?

Are you going to Worcester just because it's the furthest figureing you get the most for free? (I can't think of any other reason to go there just for lunch)

If that's the case I'd suggest rethinking that and targeting a place based on it's attributes not it's train fair. No offence to Worcester but taking the train all the way out ther to have lunch by the train station is not my idea of time well spent.

Mentioned in this post
Worcester
Worcester
Massachusetts
Cambridge...
Level Contributor
174 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ALL Boston MBTA free 4/24 - Lunch in Worcester?

I hear you loud and clear! We are recently beck from India. In last 3 years been to Turkey, Ecuador, Eastern Europe, Iceland etc. Always use public transportation. We will enjoy the ride for itself. The longer ride is the issue not the freebee which just served as the source of this "adventure" and we usually do find adventures on our excursions. We are open to suggestions.

Boston...
Level Contributor
3,766 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: ALL Boston MBTA free 4/24 - Lunch in Worcester?

got you, just want to take a train ride.

My memory is shady so I can't really help with specifics but for what it's worth the only time I took the train to Worcester I wanted to eat before getting a cab and do remember having no problems finding a place on foot from the station. So I think you'll be okay winging it from what I remember.

Mentioned in this post
Worcester
Worcester
Massachusetts
Boston...
Level Contributor
19,902 posts
634 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ALL Boston MBTA free 4/24 - Lunch in Worcester?

FWIW, I got "tricked" into going to Worcester this past Saturday night, and there were tons of restaurants and lots of friendly looking clubs all over the place. Not at all what I expected.

That being said, Providence is a mecca of good restaurants, so if the goal is a long trip and a good meal, then I'd pick that.

Of course you could also try to ride the entire North or South sides of the Commuter Rail in that one free day, if you were up for a challenge. Per what I've seen, the South side could be done . . . assuming all trains run on time! Not sure about the North side

Mentioned in this post
Worcester
Worcester
Massachusetts
Providence
Providence
Rhode Island
Boston...
Level Contributor
3,766 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: ALL Boston MBTA free 4/24 - Lunch in Worcester?

Rockport and Newburyport are other options (shorter rides I think though). Very nice towns but I've not been there via train so not sure about getting to town by foot from the station.

Mentioned in this post
Rockport
Rockport
Cape Ann, MA
Newburyport
Newburyport
Massachusetts
Cambridge...
Level Contributor
174 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ALL Boston MBTA free 4/24 - Lunch in Worcester?

Thanks to both of you for helping us sort this out. Our final decision is Commuter Rail to Providence, have lunch, and take a city tour and return. Fun for us!

Mentioned in this post
Providence
Providence
Rhode Island
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ALL Boston MBTA free 4/24 - Lunch in Worcester?

Providence would have more stuff by the train station, is a bigger city. If you Google the Amtrak Station in PVD (which is where the MBTA Trains go), you'll see a number of dining choices with reviews that you can view. There's the river and I think more going on than in Worcester. Compare the two on Google Maps and see what you think.

Rockport is lovely. It is a couple of blocks (?) to the town center. Rockport has a Cape Cod type feel to it. One of my favorite places to take the Commuter Rail to but it is a little walk.... less of a train ride.

Mentioned in this post
Providence
Providence
Rhode Island
Worcester
Worcester
Massachusetts
Rockport
Rockport
Cape Ann, MA
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Cambridge...
Level Contributor
174 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ALL Boston MBTA free 4/24 - Lunch in Worcester?

Agreed about PVD. We have a reservation for a tour. The boat tours aren't running yet so the small bus i this weather will probably be better anyway Should be a fun day.

Thanks all for your help in our sorting this out.