We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early morning buses, etc?

Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Early morning buses, etc?

I'm going to be in Subic coming up in April (to May 2nd). My flight back leaves from Manila at 6:30 AM. I've read that there are bus routes to Subic from Manila, I'm good there. What I was concerned about is if there is any problem going back overnight like that? Or is it definitely a better idea to get a hotel for a night in Manila? That's not a problem, just curious...

Mentioned in this post
Subic
Subic
Luzon, Philippines
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Mandaluyong...
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early morning buses, etc?

While the service is referred to as 24 hours, in practice buses do not leave the terminus if there are insufficient passengers to make the journey viable.

Personally, l would travel back the previous day and have a stress fee night in a hotel.

Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early morning buses, etc?

Subic is the name of the town just north of Olongapo City. It is also the name of the bay next to Olongapo and Subic. An area of Olongapo was the site of the US navy base and that part of town now forms part of what is known as Subic Bay Metropolitan Area or SBMA where different rules to the rest of the Philippines apply, you have to obey traffic rule, no tricycles or side stalls.

Most visitors stay in Barrio Barretta where the resorts and bars are which is on the blue jeepney route to Subic and beyond.

Buses run from various terminals in Manila and the timetable is below

http://www.victoryliner.com/schedules/ These only give the outbound times to Olongapo but as you see the buses are thin on the ground at night and I agree with fissurpoJuan that you are better going to manila the night before however when you get to Olongapo you can checkout the times of Pasay bound buses.

What you could do to avoid the traffic is get a bus late on the evening and spend 3/6 hours in a shorttime hotel, I stay at hotel sogo at harrison/edsa ( close to victory liner pasay terminal) when I have 6 am flights. No need to book and then get a taxi to the airport as plenty are driving along EDSA and the fare is around 100p

http://hotelsogo.com/

Mentioned in this post
Subic
Subic
Luzon, Philippines
Olongapo
Olongapo
Luzon, Philippines
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Pasay
Pasay
Luzon, Philippines
Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Early morning buses, etc?

Thanks a bunch folks. I just thought of another thing...about how long should I allow for travel time when I go to Subic from Manila...like padding for unforseen things and all? I don't mind if it takes a while because of traffic...just as long as I plan for it.

Mentioned in this post
Subic
Subic
Luzon, Philippines
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early morning buses, etc?

It all depends what time you arrive as NAIA is in Pasay City and the bus goes all the way around EDSA until it joins thenoth luzon expressway. On a sunday or at night via Dau and the expressway all the way the bus will from Pasay take around take around 3/ 3.5 hours but if you arrive say at 3 in the afternoon and get on a bus from Pasay at 4.30 you will be stuck in a traffic jam and it could take closer to an hour instead of 20 mins to get to the bus terminal and an extrahour or maybe more to get to Olongapo.

At Olongapo there are blue jeepneys going to Barrio Barretta and sometimes taxis hang around the bus station but not always or or if you get an expressway bus via Dau the buses go into the old base where there is a terminus for transport within the base and there are often taxis there - explain to the bus conductor when you pay your fare where you are going and he may be able to point out where you can get a taxi. I assume you are staying in Barretto but there are some nice hotels on the base as well but most foreign visitors stay in Barretto.

The good news is if you are arriving economy/coach class the buses are more spacious ! You can always get off at Dau to use the toilet or buy a snack as the bus stops there for 10/15 mins and if you are really lucky therewill be a refreshment service where you will have the opportunity to but peanuts, eggs ,hotdogs on sticks, cans of coke

Mentioned in this post
Pasay
Pasay
Luzon, Philippines
Olongapo
Olongapo
Luzon, Philippines
Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Early morning buses, etc?

Great thanks for taking the time. My flight arrives at 12:50 AM LOL, so I won't have any problems getting there for check-in, but good to know the routine.

Olongapo...
Level Contributor
25 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Early morning buses, etc?

If you have to catch an early morning flight from NAIA, i suggest you spend the night in Manila. I am a local of Olongapo City and whenever we have to catch a morning flight, (even if you take the Victory Liner first trip to Manila which is around 3AM), chances are after a 3 to 4 hours travel you will reach Manila just in time for the traffic buildup. That is, motorists all out on their way to work and students to school. A situation you may want to avoid.

The former US Subic Bay Naval Base, which is now the Subic Bay Freeport Zone, a part of Olongapo City is a good place to stay for rest and recreation. Lots of things to do within short distance from each other, good accommodations, good ambiance, less pollution and crowd, lots of good restos around and friendly people. Enjoy your stay!

Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Olongapo
Olongapo
Luzon, Philippines
Subic
Subic
Luzon, Philippines
Subic Bay Freeport Zone
Subic Bay Freeport Zone
Luzon, Philippines
Olongapo...
Level Contributor
25 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Early morning buses, etc?

Hi Sampag1ta,

I think you got the Subic Bay Freeport Zone confused with the agency Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority that administers the Freeport Zone. Yes it used to be the same area formerly occupied by the US Subic Bay Naval Base now converted into a freeport Zone by the Bases Conversion Devt Authority. Also, the place Barretto located in Subic Zambales i must say is really not the place to go to if you are visiting or in need of R & R. I suggest places inside the Freeport area like the Marina Bay area, Camayan beach resort, Ocean Adventure, Subic zafarri, jungle tours. There is also the Ayala Harbor Point Mall where you will have a lot of dining options under one roof.

Mentioned in this post
Subic Bay Freeport Zone
Subic Bay Freeport Zone
Luzon, Philippines
Subic
Subic
Luzon, Philippines
Camayan Beach Resort and Hotel
Camayan Beach Resort and...
552 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Harbor Point
Harbor Point
123 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
8. Re: Early morning buses, etc?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2018, 13:18
;