We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leon Nightlife vs. Managua Nightlife

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
145 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Leon Nightlife vs. Managua Nightlife

I will be going to Nicaragua for my first time soon. I hear Leon is a great colonial town and given the university presence has an active nightlife scene.

Most people say stick to Leon and stay away from Managua. I will definitely spend a few nights in Leon but I would imagine the nightlife options in Managua are greater. The metro area population of Managua is over 2.4 million while Leon is only about 200,000 or so.

How is the nightlife in Leon and what places can you suggest. This is for a gringo who speaks pretty decent Spanish and wants to immerse himself in the LOCAL culture. Not shy about dancing salsa or other Latin American styles. Any suggestions and/or comparisons between the two cities would be greatly appreciated.

As it stands now, I plan to spend a few nights in both places.

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Leon Nightlife vs. Managua Nightlife

I was wondering if you had your trip already and if so how would you answer your question about the nightlife?

thanks

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leon Nightlife vs. Managua Nightlife

About Night life is safer to go bar hoping in Leon and taxis are also safer and cheaper, so i will stick to Leon,

jersey
Level Contributor
160 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leon Nightlife vs. Managua Nightlife

Leon is safer with a young university crowd however Managua is more varied and sophisticated.

Stick to the 'safer' areas of Managua:

http://goo.gl/y1h5o7

New Bedford...
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leon Nightlife vs. Managua Nightlife

Don't know much about Managua at night but it was unimpressive in the daylight.I left and went to Leon which I love!

7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Leon Nightlife vs. Managua Nightlife

My girlfriend and I decided to check out Managua at night 2 weeks ago, not even after 15 minutes of walking we were robbed my gunpoint by 2 men on dirt bikes. Be careful in Managua at night !

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leon Nightlife vs. Managua Nightlife

Its true Managua has a much greater nightlife due to the population and size of the city.

Managua is more varied though. Leon has a smaller more centered nightlife. so you can do more bar hopping type stuff there.

In Managua you have everything from upscale jazz or salsa clubs, to reggaeton caribbean dancehalls, to college area coffee shops to euro/american style electronic dance/rave clubs to the kind of clubs that you get your own personal female assistant for the evening if you know what i mean.

There isnt really a central district or downtown area though, so they are far between and you generally have to know where you are going before you go as its not common or easy or even all that recommended by most people to just head out walking until you find something you like.

But if you need a suggestion for a certain type of place specifically just ask.

Ryan O - sorry to hear about your experience. Thats too bad. Where were you guys at when it happened?

7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Leon Nightlife vs. Managua Nightlife

We were staying at the La Pyramid hotel on reparto San Juan. Apparently it was not known to be to be too bad of an area for Managua.

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Leon Nightlife vs. Managua Nightlife

yeah that is odd. Reparto San Juan is one of the nicer/upscale places in the city.

New Bedford...
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Leon Nightlife vs. Managua Nightlife

Managua is a large dump,continue on to Granada,Nicaragua a very fine place that I hated to leave!

Edited: 06 February 2016, 05:11
10. Re: Leon Nightlife vs. Managua Nightlife

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2017, 01:18