We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leon Cathedral Renovations

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Leon Cathedral Renovations

I'm thinking about a trip to Leon in February. I see from past reviews that the Cathedral has been undergoing renovations. Photography is a big part of my trip, so if the Cathedral were to be under construction and covered with scaffolding, I'd rather not go at that time. Does anyone know if that is complete, or when it is scheduled to be complete?

Mentioned in this post
Leon
Leon
Leon Department, Nicaragua
Osoyoos, Canada
Level Contributor
991 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leon Cathedral Renovations

We were there last February and the rooftop was complete. Absolutely stunning. Not sure about the inside. It was not under construction when we visited. PM if you want pics.

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
6,155 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leon Cathedral Renovations

As Claudia was there in February and the cathedral was not under construction I think the renovations might be done. But please don't let your visit to Leon depend only on the cathedral. Leon is a great colonial city with many churches, murals, museums. The view from the cathedral roof is great. There is the market. The street food behind the cathedral. So many great photo opportunities just wandering around the city. And then there are the volcanoes: Cerro Negro, Telica... And the beaches: Las Penitas, Jiquilillo. It would be a shame to miss out on all that.

Mentioned in this post
Leon
Leon
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leon Cathedral Renovations

There are reviews from the summer talking about the front being scaffolded, which is why I'm thinking it's still being worked on. Perhaps they're re-painting the whole thing, not just the roof.

Anyway, I'm a church junkie -- love visiting and photographing them. Due to size and cultural importance, being able to get some nice photos would be paramount, so I won't go if it's in doubt. I've been to Nicaragua before, I want to go again, but I can wait.

Edited: 28 October 2015, 07:39
Mentioned in this post
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
Osoyoos, Canada
Level Contributor
991 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leon Cathedral Renovations

I just had an email from someone who lives in Leon. The front of the cathedral does have scaffolding on it and it is being painted. Not sure how long this will take. Hope this helps.

Edited: 29 October 2015, 14:33
Mentioned in this post
Leon
Leon
Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,467 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leon Cathedral Renovations

i was there a couple of days and yes there are still some scaffolding but painting is almost done hopefully ends in a fe months more. but still some pictures can be take

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leon Cathedral Renovations

I heard from someone that works at the Cathedral that it will be done by December 24th, my guess is that it wil be done before since on December 7th there is a huge celebration and i am guessing that they will like to have it ready by then

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leon Cathedral Renovations

Thank you Claudia, Byron and Rodolfo!

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
190 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Leon Cathedral Renovations

The front of the cathedral was, indeed, finished in time for Christmas. All that's left now are the sides to be painted.

Jinotega, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Leon Cathedral Renovations

I highly recommend the Subtiava cathedral which has a Great Sun plaque in the rafters and which also has a bat colony in the rafters. There are a couple of other cathedrals that would be of interest, too. I also like photos of works in progress -- the country is a living place and things are always being fixed up and rebuilt.

10. Re: Leon Cathedral Renovations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2017, 19:17