We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cerro Negro Trek for 50+....what should be expect

Colorado
Level Contributor
47 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Cerro Negro Trek for 50+....what should be expect

I read a lot of reviews about volcano boarding-our cruise excursion only discusses the hike up and down. Are the boards available there to rent for everyone? If we want to "hike" down, what would that be like and what should we bring (old clothes that can get dirty, water, scarf for face? would hiking poles work here?).

What is the 2 hour drive like from Corinto and is there a lot to see along the way? For someone who doesn't really like to get dirty but loves good views, should I do this or spend my one day another way in Leon and Corinto?? Bucket list item? Thanks all.

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
4,601 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cerro Negro Trek for 50+....what should be expect

Cerro Negro is an active volcano and the hike up is not hard. It takes an hour to an hour and a half. You can take it slow. It is a bit awkward as you will be carrying the boards (if you decide to board down). When you are at the top you will see (and maybe even walk through) the active crater, you will see an old crater, old lava flows and there are great views. Walking on the rim can be a bit awkward again if you are carrying boards because it can be windy. If you board down tour operators give you a protective suit and goggles. You sit on the board and you can really go as fast or slow as you want as you can brake with your feet. Some people want to go fast and that is not always easy. I have run down several times. You just take big leaps. I have not worn anything special for that: long pants and hiking boots. I like running down. My husband and I are 50+ as well (we do hike a lot). It will be hot so take water and sunscreen. You will get dirty! I think it is possible to rent boards at the park entrance as well. Tours usually take 5 hours from Leon.

I like Cerro Negro but I would still choose Leon. This tour would give you a real great taste of Nicaragua:

juliotoursnicaragua.com.ni/index.php/tours/6…

Colorado
Level Contributor
47 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cerro Negro Trek for 50+....what should be expect

thank you very much! Sounds like an adventure!!

I appreciate your insight and answer.

wix
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
772 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cerro Negro Trek for 50+....what should be expect

Tough decision on how to spend one day. The hike isn't hard, and climbing the volcano is a very cool experience with great views of the countryside and into the smoking areas that are still hot. You can scraped the dirt at the top and feel how hot the volcano still is. Youll be provided with everything you need to slide down - googles, overalls, a board. It's quite fun and definitely something you won't get a chance to do anywhere else that I know of.

Leon is a great city and there's much to see as well - beautiful old churches, a fine art gallery, market and interesting streets. If you decide on the city, go up on the roof of the cathedral. It's quite beautiful.

I suppose it depends partly on whether you will see other colonial cities in your travels.

I'd probably volcano board, but you won't go wrong with either choice.

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
913 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cerro Negro Trek for 50+....what should be expect

Greetings -sfromdenver:

If you decide that Cerro Negro isn't for you, but you still want a great view, when you visit Leon pay the small fee to go up to the roof of the Cathedral. It has great views of the surrounding volcanoes and the town.

Cheers and enjoy your day in Nicaragua! Hopefully you will see enough to want to come back for a proper vacation...

Mike @ Farmstay El Portón Verde, Managua

South Australia
Level Contributor
353 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cerro Negro Trek for 50+....what should be expect

Hi sfromdenver,

We are both on the plus side of 50 and decided not to board down from the start but instead did the over the side run & bunnyhop style which was good fun as well.make sure your shoes are tied up tight though. Having had some knee issues in the past I found it was better to go down the soft stuff than the trail up.

Some tourists seemed far more adept than others at the boarding with some quite slow. The hike up is moderate but somewhat windy and a bit slippery in parts due to small rocks/gravel. From memory you can pay a local lad to carry your board for you to the top (they will run down).

It is well worth the trip for the great views and entertainment provided by other tourists.

As mentioned above, Leon is a really nice place to visit (as is most of Nicaragua)

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
190 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cerro Negro Trek for 50+....what should be expect

Unless you really want to board down, running down is quite fun. We have been doing it since our youngest was 4. It's a decent hike but not bad. Bring an entire package of baby wipes and a change of shoes/socks. You will get dirty (regardless of which way you do it).

It's too bad you have to choose between Leon and Cerro Negro. They are both awesome. I've never actually been to Corinto (we have a house outside Leon) but I imagine you would get more time enjoying Nicaragua on the Leon tour as the drive would have to be shorter.

You can't go wrong with either choice. Good luck.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
288 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cerro Negro Trek for 50+....what should be expect

How long does it take to run down the volcano? We will be there next month and Im still unsure if I will run or board down? Im afraid to lose control if I board down!

South Australia
Level Contributor
353 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cerro Negro Trek for 50+....what should be expect

The local lads run down in under a minute. Those of us a little more cautious took about five minutes using a combination of strides and jumps. Great fun but guaranteed to get some scoria in your shoes

Edited: 21 January 2016, 23:41
9. Re: Cerro Negro Trek for 50+....what should be expect

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2017, 11:18