We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I do self touring?

Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
300 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Can I do self touring?

Please need your help again.

I am in Leon which was not planned. Don't know if it was such a good idea but I am here already and it's definitely very different from Granada which I loved.

So I am by myself and started looking for tours. Because it's for one person only and its kind of slow here, they don't have group for me to join.

They tell me I have to pay for private tour which is expensive.

I was wondering if those yours they offer I can just to myself. Or what can I do here by myself if I can just catch a taxi and get yo these destinations.

The tours they have are:

Isla Juan Venado

Leon Viejo

... De San Jacindo

Or may be some day at the beach, the one that I can spend the whole day at with restaurants.

Any idea are welcomed. Thank you

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
4,601 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I do self touring?

Leon is a great colonial city. You can explore Leon on your own: there are churches, museums, murals. Climb on the cathedral roof for the view. Explore the market. The most booked tour from Leon is probably volcano Cerro Negro (active crater, great views and you can board or run down). Also check out volcano Telica.

Juan Venado is in Las Penitas. Just take a taxi to the bus station (El Mercadito de Sutiava but every taxi driver will know). The bus takes 30-45 minutes to Las Penitas. Or just take a taxi there from Leon. I suggest staying overnight. It is a small fishing village with a nice beach and fun waves. You can go kayaking in Juan Venado or take a boat tour. Just go to their office near Hotel Barca de Oro.

Check out these tour operators. They usually have groups going and you can join one:

sonati.org/index.php/en/our-tours/tours-leon/

juliotoursnicaragua.com.ni/index.php/tours

http://www.vapues.com/daytoursleon.php

http://leon.quetzaltrekkers.org/treks.html

Monteverde Costa...
Level Contributor
577 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I do self touring?

Sonia has some great ideas. One thing we all should be aware of on Trip Advisor. I use this all the time to find out what to to in a particular area or city.

be on the Leon page in this example and click above on things to do. I just did it and there are many things listed (just like in most places in any country unless they are really small). The things to do are ranked and have comments and very quickly you can review something and based on the comments, the posted fotos and description you find things that can interest you. Also in these comments are tips about how to get to the acitvity or place, how much it may cost etc.

Give it a try.

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I do self touring?

of course.

THere are almost zero places in the whole country that REQUIRE a guide.

There are some places that might have a sign or that someone else might tell you "you need a guide" but almost all of which, you are able to do on your own if you really want.

There are some places that you might want a local guide as the trails are not well marked, etc.

But particularly if you speak spanish, the locals are very friendly and can help you get pointed in the right direction, and most of the major tourist spots have locals on site, or nearby that you can hire privately for just a couple of dollars to help show you the way.

For instance Leon Viejo, you can take a bus from Leon for about a buck, then walk a few blocks to the ruins and pay 5 bucks to enter and you have someone working there that shows you around. No need to pay a tour company big bucks for it, unless you are in a hurry, or want more luxury (like an A/C van as opposed to a public bus)

Same with the beach. Just take one of the many buses from Leon to the beach in Las Penitas/Poneloya, wherever and just get off the bus when you see something cool and hang out there for free.

Of course taxis go to all those places, and will take you right to the entrance, but for a higher cost than a bus.

The big drawback of going on your own, is a guide can tell you lots of history, or info on animals, birds, etc. so for some, they dont like going on their own, but for others who dont care about stuff like that, its not worth the premium paid to a tour company.

Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
300 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I do self touring?

Thank you all. Sonya, I took your advice and took taxi to the beach where I spent a very nice day with good food, many drinks, lol and beautiful sunset.

Today I walked for 3 hours in exhaustion in 102F heat in Leon. Went to 3 Sunday services to beautiful churches.

Then stumbled upon an art museum with Picasso, Matesse and Chagal. Who could have thought. Also very cool contemporary art exhibit.

The heat and humidity is getting to me. I am just soaking in a hotel pool for now.

Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
300 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I do self touring?

I know such thing exist " what to do". But I like to ask people anyway. If that's ok

Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
300 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I do self touring?

I know such thing exist " what to do". But I like to ask people anyway. If that's ok

Monteverde Costa...
Level Contributor
577 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I do self touring?

Of course it is Ok by me. And it sounds like it worked. TA is great, however you use it!

8. Re: Can I do self touring?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2017, 00:17