We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall Colors

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Fall Colors

Hello! My husband and I are looking for a 3 day getaway early October and read that Traverse City and surrounding areas is a nice time to catch fall colors. What is a good route to take? We were thinking of Traverse City to Mackinaw Island. I also wanted to see Torch Lake. Is early October a good time to see fall colors? Are there walking trails accessible? Any recommendations?

8 replies to this topic
Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,372 posts
985 reviews
1. Re: Fall Colors

The timing of the colors varies from year to year. Mid October will likely have better colors. than early October. There are many hiking trails in the northwest lower peninsula. Deadmans Hill north of Mancelona is a great hike where the fall colors are beautiful. Also Google tunnel of trees which is from Cross Village to Harbor Springs on highway M119. Beautiful colors along this highway

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: Fall Colors

Thanks for your tips! I wish I could be there later but we have a window to go Oct 3 to 6. Any chance there will be any colors around then?

Edited: 02 August 2018, 00:19
Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,297 posts
37 reviews
3. Re: Fall Colors

Second weekend in Oct is generally the best color weekend. You’ll see some color the first weekend, but won’t be peak.

4. Re: Fall Colors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 August 2018, 09:42
Edited: 20 August 2018, 09:42

Level Contributor
175 posts
1 review
5. Re: Fall Colors

Hello,

There will be some fall color that weekend. Here are some of our suggested routes around the TC region.

https:/…

https:/…

Enjoy your visit!

6. Re: Fall Colors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 August 2018, 09:29

Level Contributor
2,837 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: Fall Colors

Hello! My husband and I are looking for a 3 day getaway early October and read that Traverse City and surrounding areas is a nice time to catch fall colors.

Level Contributor
2,837 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: Fall Colors

This is a few places i posted in a likewise question some time ago. These are not all right by Traverse City. First, several ski resorts have the lyfts going for fall color viewing such as Crystal Mountain, Boyne Highlands, Boyne Mountain, ect. Also consider a scenic ride across the lake on the Ironton Ferry.

For the following, I am just going to list the overlooks and you can copy & paste google with it. I have been to almost all of these but a few I have not. Do know some of these are at the end of dirt roads.

Near Petoskey check out Sunset Park, Skyline Trail, and a bit further south check out (as mentioned) Dead Man's Hill Overlook, and close by Landslide Hill Overlook, and a bit aways the High Rollaways Overlook. By the coast, south to north see Inspiration Point and Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive. I forgot to add, on the way to the coast, see Hodenpyl Dam Scenic Turnout. A little north of TC, see Center Road Scenic Overlook.

Reply to: Fall Colors
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Traverse City
Recent Conversations