We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family reunion Brainerd Lakes Area

Boulder
Destination Expert
for Boulder
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
37 reviews
Family reunion Brainerd Lakes Area

Our family is considering the Brainerd Lakes Area for next year's family reunion. We are coming from different parts of the US. We are fit and active. Outside of water sports on one of the lakes, what other things are there to do? Golf? (Think I've got a good handle on that one). Biking? Hiking? Shopping? Dining? Historical sites?

Thanks for the help.

4 replies to this topic
South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
1. Re: Family reunion Brainerd Lakes Area

Bike the Paul Bunyan Trail. You used to be able to rent bikes at Trailblazer in Nisswa. Biking south toward Brainerd is more scenic than going north along the highway, IMHO. What's great about the Nisswa rental location is the rental place is directly on the path. Rent in the morning before all the bikes are gone. If you have little ones in your group, they'll like This Old Farm and Paul Bunyan Land. If it rains, you can get a day pass for one of the two hotel waterparks even if you don't stay there. Nisswa also has a lot of cute little, quirky, shops for shopping. Rafferty's Pizza in Nisswa is some of the best I've ever eaten. Iven's On the Bay used to have good upscale dining (not kid-friendly). I haven't tried these things, but you can hike in Pillsbury Forest or go to the races in Brainerd.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
2. Re: Family reunion Brainerd Lakes Area

I should add that we prefer swimming in the Cullen Lake Chain and in Lake Edward. Gull Lake is the most popular but even in August it was freezing cold.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
1,183 reviews
3. Re: Family reunion Brainerd Lakes Area

The Chocolate Ox for the BEST ice cream, fudge, candy and anything caloric. Located on the main drag in Nisswa.

Brainerd
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
4. Re: Family reunion Brainerd Lakes Area

The Brainerd area offers so much to do, here are a few Ideas:

Northland Arboretum: 20 miles of trails for hiking, Bird Watching

Bike Trails and routes: There are some of the best bike routes in the country here with scenic, low traffic, & smooth roads http://www.visitbrainerd.com/Biking.html Plus Brainerd is just 214 miles from the cuyuna Lakes trails for some of the best mountain biking in the world.

Lakes: You can boat from just north of Brainerd all the way to Nisswa by water through several lakes and channels. This is a great afternoon boat ride and very scenic. Plus there are several restaurant on the water.

Shopping: Spend the afternoon in Nisswa Minnesota just a short drive north which is known for a wide variety of small shops and of course the chocolate ocx. Visit Christmas Point in Baxter one of my faviorite stores in the area.

Visit our website at www.visitbrainerd.com for more ideas

Reply to: Family reunion Brainerd Lakes Area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Brainerd