We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brainerd Hiking

kentucky
Level Contributor
128 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Brainerd Hiking

Hi! Are there nice trails for hiking in the area or are we better off going to Grand Marais area? Thanks@

Mentioned in this post
Grand Marais
Grand Marais
Minnesota
5 replies to this topic
South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Brainerd Hiking

Since you haven't gotten any answers from people who have hiked in the area, I know there is hiking in Pillsbury State Forest (we used to vacation in the area), but I haven't actually attempted it. Not sure if this link will work. Lately I've had problems with links on here. If not, just google it.

…state.mn.us/state_forests/…index.html

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
261 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Brainerd Hiking

There are hikes available around Brainerd but you have waterfalls and vistas of Lake Superior and other lakes with the scenery of the hikes around Grand Marais .

If you search "hiking minnesota google books" you can preview hikes 39 (Pillsbury Forest) and 40 (Mille Lacs Kathio State Park) in "Hiking Minnesota" by J. Pukite to get an idea of what the hiking around Brainerd is like.

Biking (or hiking) parts of the Paul Bunyun trail may be a good option for Brainerd area (112 miles of paved trail from Brainerd to Bemidji. Start at the exploreminnesota. com website for information on the trail under things to do/biking.

Mentioned in this post
Brainerd
Brainerd
Minnesota
Grand Marais
Grand Marais
Minnesota
Mille Lacs Kathio State Park
Mille Lacs Kathio State...
46 Reviews
Onamia, MN
Minnesota
Minnesota
United States
Bemidji
Bemidji
Minnesota
Paynesville...
Level Contributor
234 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brainerd Hiking

I come from the general Brainerd Lakes area of the state originally. It's great, though not known as much for hiking compared to places like the North Shore, and known more for great boating, fishing, resorts, and just relaxing weekends away from the Twin Cities up at the lake cabin.

I've never hiked the area, but in addition to the Pillsbury State Forest, there is also the Crow Wing State Forest and the small Crow Wing State Park that have hiking trails. Central Minnesota in general is fairly flat, so expect less of scenic overlooks and more along the lines of nature trails through wooded scenery and along lakes and river shorelines.

Otherwise the Paul Bunyan Trail is a paved trail traveling 100 miles north from Brainerd up to Bemidji, though it doesn't really fit what I would describe as real hiking, as it's very well-maintained and high traffic down near the Brainerd end, full of walkers, bicyclists, rollerblading, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Brainerd
Brainerd
Minnesota
Minnesota
Minnesota
United States
Bemidji
Bemidji
Minnesota
North Dakota
Level Contributor
466 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brainerd Hiking

Look into the Cuyanna Recreation Area. I haven't been there yet but plan to try it this upcoming weekend. There is a nice YouTube about the trail.

kentucky
Level Contributor
128 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brainerd Hiking

Thanks so much!

Reply to: Brainerd Hiking
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Brainerd