We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biting bugs

new england
Level Contributor
414 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Biting bugs

Hi all - Two parents, two teens, will be driving Duluth to Grand Marais next week (weather forecast looking like mid-60s) and wanted to do some short hikes along the way. Wondered, therefore, what the mosquito/biting flies situation has been lately? Do I need to bring along any protective gear other than mosquito repellent and long pants/sleeves?

Thanks.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,015 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Biting bugs

There's also the deepest canyon in MN about 5 miles up the shore from Grand Marais - ask about the Devil's Track Canyon.

Cook County #58 turn off road -

small parking lot on the left

about 25 min hike to the big canyon rim.

you will pass a small stream and bridge - keep going - about 1/2 way there, but worth it.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
538 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Biting bugs

Waaaait a minute here: if OP's post was at 10:27 am, what was anyone doing in bed? In the words of the immortal Warren Zevon, "I'll sleep when I'm dead."

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
714 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Biting bugs

I use and like RID insect repellent - it contains:

RID TROPICAL STRENGTH INSECT REPELLENT CONTAINS: 19.5% DEET plus two additional repellents, including a FLY repellent, Antiseptic to kill a wide range of bacteria, Vitamin E for moisturizing, Chamomile for its soothing relief, and Triclosan (an anti-bacterial/ inflammatory agent).

If I were to use only one repellent, I use this one. (bugs love me). If bugs are numerous, I use more than one TYPE of repellent, for example, RID, Picaridin and OLE.

14. Re: Biting bugs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 16:19