We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help for a one day 25th Anv

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Help for a one day 25th Anv

I will be flying in from one city, my DH of 25 years will be flying in from another to Duluth in early April. We will be heading for family reasons north to Ely, but we have one day, that day we fly to celebrate.

So somewhere between Duluth and Ely, we can spend the night, have a really great dinner, and a nice quite breakfast. Help me figure this out, PLEASE. It's our 25th it would be nice if it where memorable.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
356 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help for a one day 25th Anv

vtmom,

I would stay in Duluth or Ely. My wife and I are staying at the Four Seasons Resort in Ely in June. Grand Ely Lodge. It is on a lake and looks great, but I haven't been there yet soooo take this with a grain of salt.

Years ago me and Mrs. ziggypop stayed at the Radisson in downtown Duluth. We had a room overlooking the harbor and the restaurant is a revolving floor which is cool at night. I remember the food being excellent but the hotel was older but nice. There isn't a whole lot of choices between the two cities.(that I know of)

Enjoy Minnesota, ziggypop

Burnsville, MN
Level Contributor
539 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help for a one day 25th Anv

I know a great place to celebrate a special anniversary, the Baptism River Inn B &B just west of Silver Bay on Hwy 1. I stayed there last October, and it was such a nice place with very nice hosts. They have four units, and the largest one is a special unit where they bring breakfast to your room. One can be as private there as you like! I had already planned on going there, but the hostess also recommended having dinner at the Lemon Wolf Cafe, about 9 miles south in Beaver Bay. There's also a restaurant at the Cove Point Lodge (actually another nice place) in Beaver Bay, but it's rather expensive. Tripadvisor reviews for the B&B are here, tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g43526-d1730…

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help for a one day 25th Anv

I would also recommend staying in Duluth. Like Britphile, I would recommend a bed and breakfast.

I stayed at the Ellery House in Duluth, which is a gorgeous Victorian home in Duluth right off the highway. I would venture into Duluth for dinner because they only have breakfast. But the breakfast is what makes the stay. I couldn't believe how much care was taken for the breakfast. They serve it in antique tableware. And if you want will sit with you and chat.

I have a review on this site of the Ellery House. But that is not the only B and B option as Duluth and the nearby area has a whole lot of them,

Minnesota
Level Contributor
392 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help for a one day 25th Anv

If you want something other than a B&B, Fitger's Inn in Duluth has some nice whirlpool suites with beautiful views of the Lake and lift bridge ~ you could have a nice dinner at Va Bene just a couple doors down in their heated windowed porch overlooking the lake and lights of the Lift Bridge as well, or one of the many choices for dinner on Canal Park ~ Bellisio's is a great special dinner option, we've never had a bad dinner there.

The Radisson Hotel was mentioned and I believe all their rooms were remodeled relatively recently and the restaurant on top -- the revolving one -- had wonderful views of the lights of Duluth laid out below, but I would rate the food average.

Many of the hotels on Canal Park would have nice suite options for a special stay, as well. One that I have had friends stay at for special occasions and speak of highly is the South Pier Inn, just across the Lift Bridge, a quick drive or walk from the many dining options on Canal Park.

I would caution you about staying up the North Shore -- Two Harbors, Silver Bay areas, etc. unless you first check to see if the Hwy 1 road construction is complete when you plan to travel to Ely. Otherwise, you will need to factor in an extra 30 miles or so due to the detour if you had planned to take Hwy 1 between the North Shore and Ely.

It is about a 2 hour drive from Duluth to Ely taking Hwy 53 and then Hwy 169 -- I would stay in Duluth, providing many options for a special dinner, lodging and breakfast before you hit the road to Ely that next morning. Great breakfast options in Duluth: At Sara's Table/Chester Creek Cafe, Pizza Luce (not sure if breakfast is weekends only, though -- and not a quiet, romantic spot!).

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help for a one day 25th Anv

Thanks for you help. I was wondering about the road work on Route 1. Is the road actually closed? I'm looking at Silver Bay, the Baptism River Inn looks really wonderful. I don't know if staying in the city would be relaxing. On the other hand I do worry about nice places to eat along the coast.

Who would have thought one night and day could be hard to plan out.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
392 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help for a one day 25th Anv

I just checked and looks like by the time you are traveling there will no longer be a detour, but possibly still road construction? dot.state.mn.us/d1/projects/hwy1reconstruct

The North Shore is such a beautiful drive, that if you have the time, you would probably really enjoy the scenery along the way to the Silver Bay B&B, and then get a flavor for MN's inland wilderness scenery as you head up to Ely. Lemon Wolf Cafe has good food, but not a "special" dinner atmosphere -- you might want to consider Cove Point's restaurant for that. Beaver Bay is just a few miles down the road, so no problem (unless we continue to have our delayed snowfall into April! :) )

7. Re: Help for a one day 25th Anv

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 13:16
Get answers to your questions about Duluth
Recent Conversations