We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget stay with toddler

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
115 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Budget stay with toddler

Hello!

We are taking a trip to Duluth this Saturday for Memorial Day Weekend and looking for a place to stay for one night.

We have a toddler. I hear that Canal Park is great but we're looking for something between $50-$75 a night so that's probably out of our price range.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Lino Lakes...
Level Contributor
33 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget stay with toddler

Tough budget range for that time of year and many places have a two night minimum. Visit http://visitduluth.com/home.php for possible ideas. I would try maybe the Hermantown or Miller Hill area. I think even Super 8's are going to be more than $75 a night for a Holiday weekend.

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
40 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget stay with toddler

I would have to agree with the first poster. I'm not sure you will find a rate like that in Duluth, especially on a holiday weekend. There is either a Red Roof Inn or Econo Lodge type hotel on the left side of I-35 just south of the city that might be in that price range. Otherwise, I believe that there is a Best Western Motel near Downtown that might be in that range, you'll have to look into it. From the outside it looks like a $50-$75 dollar motel, but since its downtown, it might be more expensive. The best thing to do would be to look at the list of all Duluth hotels on trip advisor and pick one of the hotels at the bottom of the list. The hotels up the hill in the Miller Hill Mall area will be slightly cheaper than Canal Park, but will likely be more expensive than $75 per night.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
115 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget stay with toddler

Hello, thanks for both of your messages.

We decided that we are no longer going to Duluth, for the reasons you both cite, too expensive for the lodging, and since Memorial Day Weekend will be so busy.

We're looking for a nice place to bring our 2 1/2 year old toddler and also a place where we can relax, get away from the Twin Cities for the weekend.

A co-worker suggested Madeline Island/Bayfield, Wisconsin. Any thoughts on this place?

I probably need to move this question to another forum, but would love any feedback or any other suggestions for Minnesota to bring a 2 1/2 year old and for us to get away for the weekend.

Thank you!!!

Edited: 22 May 2012, 15:05
St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
40 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget stay with toddler

I have never been to Bayfield, but I looked at the Sea Gull Hotel and it might be just what you are looking for if you want to relax. Another option would be to stay closer to home and stay in the Taylors Falls or Stillwater area. I love going to Stillwater and Interstate State Park in Taylors Falls is nice to spend some time in and have a picnic. You would spend less on gas, so you could spend a little more on a room if you stayed in Stillwater. I looked into a small resort on Lake Mille Lacs for you, but it was all booked up, which will probably be common since it's so close to the holiday weekend. I could plan you a great mini-vacation with a higher budget and more notice lol. Good luck with your search....Bayfield may be the place to go!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
1,070 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget stay with toddler

Bayfield is nice, but I think it's too far for just one night. The longer drive with a toddler would not be fun. I think there's more to do in Duluth, but it's a nice destination. Not sure the lodging will be any cheaper, it's a tourist town and on a holiday weekend you're late getting reservations.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
115 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget stay with toddler

Thanks for the responses. We don't mind the 4-hr. drive with our

2 1/2 year old, we just put some DVDs on and bring snacks and books and she's fine. Also take breaks along the way to stretch our legs. Not a problem at all.

I'm checking the weather for the weekend and it's not looking good, so a place that has plenty of indoor activities would be good as well. We're still considering Bayfield/Madeline Island Wisconsin but also open to any other suggestions.

Thanks again for all your feedback!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
249 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget stay with toddler

For future reference, you might want to check out hotels in Superior if you are on a tight budget, as they run cheaper than those in Duluth.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,161 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget stay with toddler

I know this post is too late for your trip, but I've always checked with Priceline or Hotwire when looking on a strict budget, even for holiday weekends. In looking at betterbidding.com, I saw several properties mentioned as previous wins using both PL and HW. Other helpful sites for this are biddingfortravel and biddingtraveler.

www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showforum=107

9. Re: Budget stay with toddler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 04:41
Get answers to your questions about Duluth
Recent Conversations