We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inn on Lake Superior or Country Inn Suites North Duluth ?

midwest
Level Contributor
86 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Inn on Lake Superior or Country Inn Suites North Duluth ?

We are staying for one night in Duluth in early June. Turns out we picked the weekend around Gramma's Marathon although we are not runners. Many places already booked.

I found a room at the Inn on Lake Superior and also one at the Country Inn and Suites North --it is on a hill vs. the Inn is near Canal Park.

Not famliar with Duluth and looking for a very clean, updated room for a special occasion. No pets. Non-smoking. Safe and clean. I would love to stay in a newer place or a newer renovated hotel.

Which do you prefer above or do you have a different recommendation for a better place?

Thanks, Tripadvisor readers!

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,927 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inn on Lake Superior or Country Inn Suites North Duluth ?

Normally Canal Park is where you want to be

But with the race and all, it might be a circus.

midwest
Level Contributor
86 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inn on Lake Superior or Country Inn Suites North Duluth ?

Thank you for your response. If anyone else has extra info, please let me know.

Burnsville, MN
Level Contributor
539 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inn on Lake Superior or Country Inn Suites North Duluth ?

Both are very nice hotels (I've stayed at the Inn on L.S. and highly recommend it), with the difference being that the Country Inn is away from downtown and The Inn is right in Canal Park, and many rooms look out on Lake Superior. Personally I'd check out the "circus" in Canal Park. You can park your car and walk to many places, restaurants, etc. If you want to dine in a nice restaurant you might want to make a reservation ahead of time, due to the fact many tourists are in town.

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
40 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inn on Lake Superior or Country Inn Suites North Duluth ?

I have stayed at both properties and you really can't go wrong. The Country Inn is a very nice hotel located close to Miller Hill Mall and is only a short drive to Canal Park. HOWEVER, since you are visiting on such a busy weekend, The Inn on Lake Superior would get my vote because then you would be able to park your car at your hotel and leave it there for the majority of your stay. Parking can be a nightmare in Canal Park, especially on a weekend, and even more so during Grandma's Marathon. I remember the Inn on Lake Superior having a really good free breakfast and a rooftop pool as well. Either one is good, but I think you will really enjoy staying in Canal Park at the Inn. Enjoy Duluth, it is a beautiful place to visit!

midwest
Level Contributor
86 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inn on Lake Superior or Country Inn Suites North Duluth ?

Thank you "Downtown Minneapolis", "Britphile" and "AdamH06" for your responses

If anyone has any other hotel ideas, that would be great as well..

Any suggestions for restaurants for some vegetarians? One person likes fish and other other doesn't eat fish. So....looking for CLEAN restaurant with some good salads, veggie burgers or , good pastas with veggies. It can have fish, but would need to also have good non-fish options as well.

Internet search suggested: New Scenic Cafe, Va Bene, Pizza Luce....what do you think? Or any other ideas?

Would there be veggie options at the Gramma's Restaurant? I think the marathon is sponsored by Gramma's, so would some vegetarians like the food there?

Thank you for all of your responses....Keep them coming!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
659 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inn on Lake Superior or Country Inn Suites North Duluth ?

The Country Inn is a long way away. It is convenient if you are going skiing. Canal Park is the place to be.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
538 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inn on Lake Superior or Country Inn Suites North Duluth ?

I'm guessing that the Friday night or the Sunday night would be pretty quiet, and the Saturday night after the race would be a little more rowdy. I've never been there for the Grandma's weekend, but have done a whole bunch of Northshore Inline marathon weekends. That is a much smaller event so I'm extrapolating from that.

Burnsville, MN
Level Contributor
539 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inn on Lake Superior or Country Inn Suites North Duluth ?

The New Scenic Cafe is a lovely place, but it is actually a few miles north of Duluth, along scenic Hwy 61. If you like Vietnamese and/or Chinese, Taste of Saigon is quite good. It's in the Dewitt Seitz building in Canal Park, about 1 1/2 blocks from The Inn.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
574 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Inn on Lake Superior or Country Inn Suites North Duluth ?

Northern Waters Smokehaus was featured on DDD and per my Duluth relatives is fantastic. Of course, I saw the episode 2 days after my last trip to Duluth so I have never been.

http://www.northernwaterssmokehaus.com/

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
1,070 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Inn on Lake Superior or Country Inn Suites North Duluth ?

Northern Waters is delicious. I always prefer to stay in Canal Park, but if you can't get a room that particular Country Inn is a very nice hotel and it's Duluth so nothing is very far away.

Get answers to your questions about Duluth
Recent Conversations