We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Ole Miss game

IL
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
1st Ole Miss game

Hi

My daughter is 16 y/o and wants to go to Ole Miss as an Engineering student.

I bought tickets to the Ole Miss Texas A&M football game 11/18/17. We wanted to check out the campus.and I have heard so much about the tail gaiting never been to one, Can you buy food there , do take your own vehicle and food are there places to sit ? Also the game time is to be determined I think it is a night game but not sure now. Any tips and must see's would be helpful.

Thanks Scott

7 replies to this topic
Crystal Springs...
Level Contributor
707 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Ole Miss game

Your in for a pleasant surprise !!! The Grove is where the tailgating takes place. It's 10 acres in the center of the campus and it fills up with tents. No you cannot purchase food in The Grove ... it's against the rules. Everything you decide to taste or drink will be free. You and your daughter as a potential student will be widely welcomed. Suggest you Google "Ole Miss tailgating" ...

Edited: 02 November 2017, 10:03
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,495 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Ole Miss game

Ole Miss likes to dress up for football games. Not fancy but not cutoff shorts, etc. You may even see fine China.

It will be packed. Sometime have to park a mile or so away.

Where are you staying?

IL
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Ole Miss game

I think its a night game Probably stay some where after the game on the way home.

Thanks for the reply

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,495 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st Ole Miss game

Everything in Oxford and Batesville will be booked.

Look around Southaven, MS south of Memphis off I 55 for hotels.

IL
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st Ole Miss game

Thanks they it's a 1pm game

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,495 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st Ole Miss game

And traffic is crazy like bumper to bumper crazy all the way on Hwy 6 to I 55.

Nashville
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st Ole Miss game

I have been a season ticket holder for several years and seldom have traffic issues in Oxford. I come in from Nashville, take I-40 exit 25 NE of Memphis and loop around Memphis on I-269. I go through Holly Springs and exit Highway 7 at Molly Barr Road in Oxford. Then take a left on North Lamar and you can get close to campus. Parking near campus is expensive. You must have a parking pass to park on campus. I never do that because it is bumper to bumper getting off of campus, especially after a win. You will want to avoid University Ave. It is a parking lot on game day. Not sure if this route will work for you coming from Illinois. If you are coming through Dyersburg, this would be a good option. If you are coming down through Easter Arkansas, it might be a little out of your way, depending on where you stay. You could look on google maps. If you don't mind walking a mile to the game, I can give you the address of a quiet neighborhood with wide roads and plenty of parking just north of the square. Send me a message on Trip Advisor if you want directions to this neighborhood.

The game is on a 6 day hold by CBS. They will announce the gametime on Sunday. It will either be at 11:00 a.m. on CBS or at 6:00 p.m. on ESPN. I am hoping for 11 so I won't get home so late. Olive Branch would probably be the closest place with hotels and plenty of places to eat. If they play at 11, the game will be over around 2:30 and you will have more options.

In the Grove, go up to any tent and ID your daughter as a potential student. You will have more food than you can eat.

If you want to have a little more excitement, the team walks through the Grove 2 hours before kickoff. Shortly after that, the band plays for fans in the Grove.

I hope you enjoy the trip.

Edited: 08 November 2017, 23:18
Reply to: 1st Ole Miss game
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Oxford
Recent Conversations