We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Game day advice for an Auburn Tiger

Auburn, Alabama
1 post
Game day advice for an Auburn Tiger

My family consisting of myself, my husband, daughter(12)&son(10) are wanting to come to Oxford for the Ole Miss/Auburn football game on Nov. 1. I have wanted to see the grove myself for a very long time & this year I think the timing may be perfect!! Any advice that could be given at this point would be greatly appreciated. We live about 2 blocks from the Auburn University campus, so we very much understand the craziness of game day crowds. At this late date, where would the closest lodging most likely be? We do have some friends taking their RV to tailgate for the game, but how far would that be from the grove? Is it okay to just wander through the tailgate areas? We are a very friendly group & love to take in the sights & traditions when visiting another campus. I have always heard such wonderful things about Ole Miss tailgating & would love for our children to see traditional southern tailgating at its finest! We will most likely arrive mid afternoon on Friday & leave around lunch on Sunday. Any ideas for putting together an itinerary? Thanks so much!!!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,721 posts
505 reviews
1. Re: Game day advice for an Auburn Tiger

Try to get lodging in Oxford if possible or in Tupelo, MS or Batesville, MS.

RV's can park only in designated areas along Colesium Drive and Old Taylor Rd. They also park in the old Walmart parking lot on game day. Some of the areas are within walking distance of the Grove.

Yes you can walk around the Grove. Everyone is there to have a good time and is super nice.

The square will be crazy after the ball game. There are lots of places to eat. We like to drive about 30 minutes outside of town to Taylor Grocery for some good food and a live band. It is family friendly.

Nashville
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
87 reviews
2. Re: Game day advice for an Auburn Tiger

I would recommend staying in Tupelo, since you will be driving in from Alabama. Get to Oxford early. Parking can be a problem on any game day, but especially for a big game like this. On campus parking is by permit only. I have found that it can take several hours to get off of campus after a game. I prefer to find parking in neighborhoods a mile or so away from campus. It can be a 30 minute walk, but exiting town is simple.

People in the Grove are friendly. It is not uncommon to see regulars invite complete strangers into their tents and offer them food. It is rumored that if both teams keep winning, GameDay will be in Oxford that day. That will make the crowds even bigger. There are times that up to 50,000 people hang around campus without ever making it into the stadium. Oxford's stadium is a much smaller place than you are used to, but the experience is fun.

I have tentative plans to drive down from Nashville for the game. Have a safe and fun trip.

3. Re: Game day advice for an Auburn Tiger

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2015, 23:15
Get answers to your questions about Oxford
Recent Conversations