We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our Trip Sept 11 - 14

Saint John, Indiana
Level Contributor
442 posts
34 reviews
Our Trip Sept 11 - 14

We arrived around 3:30p staying at Grand View Inn and Suites. Loved the hotel! It's not a "luxury" hotel but it was very, very nice. We started our adventure with a trio to Dicks 5 & 10. Interesting but not as much as I remembered. We walked around old downtown stopping in a few shops then headed out to find dinner. We ended up at Great American Chicken and Steak because they advertised a salad bar and my hubby loves chicken. We were not happy! I ordered chicken alfredo which seemed watered down and lukewarm. My husband ordered meatloaf with mashed potatoes and gravy. The potatoes were a solid lump with thick brown gravy on everything. $42 for that and two drinks. The salad bar was lettuce, macaroni salad, potato salad, pasta salad and 2 soups - no thanks.

The next day we got up and had breakfast at the hotel. They had everything you could want. Eggs, sausage, potatoes, gravy, waffles, bagels, toast, muffins, cereals, juice, coffee and milk. It's not gourmet but certainly good enough! Hot and fresh too.

We left and went to Silver Dollar City. We always love it there and this was no exception. The Cowboys and Craftsman festival was on and we enjoyed seeing all of the crafts. Unfortunately we were at the Wild West Show when a horse fell over the ring. Very, very scary but thankfully no injuries to horse or rider. Still, it put a real damper on the day. I'm a huge animal lover and couldn't get it out of my mind. Our lunch was at Molly's Mill. Good food and somewhat reasonable prices considering it was in a theme park.

The next day we went to Top of the Rock nature trail. It was pretty but too costly for what it was. The lights weren't working in the "cave", the drive-thru bar was closed and there was a lot of construction going on. Cost for two $60. We then had lunch at the Burger Shack which we liked very much. I had blue cheese on my burger at no extra cost. The onion rings were huge and the fries were fresh cut. After lunch we went to the Acrobats of Shanghai. We always love shows like this. This one was good and some parts really good.

This was meant to be a short trip for us so we spent a little time shopping at the Tanger Outlet (got some GREAT deals at Michael Kors and Christopher & Banks) then went to Billy Bobs Dairyland for ice cream and called it a night.

We had a good time but really felt like everything was over-priced. If we go back, it won't be for years.

1 reply
Arkansas Ozarks
Level Contributor
1,376 posts
45 reviews
1. Re: Our Trip Sept 11 - 14

Thanks for taking the time to post about your Branson trip.

I think you would have had much better fried chicken for a much lower price at Farmhouse or Clockers downtown.

Most of the reviews I hear for TOTR are either wonderful or like yours, not so good -- no in between. At one time the cost included a drink per person at the drive through bar or a merchandise voucher.

Reply to: Our Trip Sept 11 - 14
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Branson