We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Zihuatanejo to Troncones - safety

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Zihuatanejo to Troncones - safety

We are wondering how safe it is to travel from Zihuatanejo to Troncones, how safe Troncones is, and whether we should just stick to Zihuatanejo instead of renting a place in Troncones. Our ideal is to stay in Troncones but we are worried after reading the travel advisory. Would it be safer to take public transportation like a bus instead of renting a car? I keep reading about how safe Troncones is, but I still wonder. We are planning to travel with our child so it adds a sense of worry.

Mentioned in this post
Zihuatanejo
Zihuatanejo
Guerrero, Mexico
Troncones
Troncones
Guerrero, Mexico
12 replies to this topic
League City, Texas
Level Contributor
195 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Zihuatanejo to Troncones - safety

I am a yearly visitor to Zihua and Troncones with my family (2 young kids). We usually stay in Zihua but have also stayed in Troncones a few times. I drive from Zihua to Troncones daily to surf while there. Never any issues. The somewhat new route is a very easy drive. If you will be going back and forth, I would suggest renting a car. If you will only be staying put in Troncones for the most part, taxi or combi would be best.

Mentioned in this post
Troncones
Troncones
Guerrero, Mexico
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Zihuatanejo to Troncones - safety

I'm also interested in hearing more about safety here if any locals could comment.

Thanks,

Troncones, Mexico
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Zihuatanejo to Troncones - safety

I live here 24/7 year round and will tell you there are no issues in travel between the two places. In general, we avoid driving at night if possible, but that is for cattle and other animals on the roads as well as drunk drivers. Travel within either town at night is fine.

Please keep in mind with travel advisories that Guerrero is a huge state, Acapulco is 4 hours from here and the areas where there is any violence is 7 to 8 hours away.

Mentioned in this post
Acapulco
Acapulco
Guerrero, Mexico
Mount Vernon...
Level Contributor
22 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Zihuatanejo to Troncones - safety

This was an important issue for us as well, we have been coming to the Ixtapa/Zih area for years, and wanted to venture out to Troncones.

You really need a car if you are going to Troncones, yes you can take taxis, but will likely pay a lot of $$ to go to/fro the airport. Do not drive at night, unless you have driven the area in the daylight and become familiar with it. The main highway to Troncones is fine, get use to driving on the shoulder when someone wants to pass you. Be aware of the Topes, speed bumps, you will need to slow down over them, various heights and they can damage the undercarriage of the car if you don't.

The main road through Troncones is paved, occasional big potholes, but the paved road ends at the north end, and turns into a bad/rocky road. Max speed limit on that dirt road is only about 5-10 MPH. Be very careful if you try driving that at night.

Be careful with renting a car at the airport, we had booked a reservation with one of the car rental companies through our airline, and got the 'bait & switch" , they wanted an additional $349USD to rent a car. Finally after wasting an hour with them, and walking out the door, it was lowered to $249. I went back into the airport counter, where there are half dozen rental companies, and took the lowest price quoted me. A whole lot less then those schmucks.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Ixtapa
Ixtapa
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Troncones
Troncones
Guerrero, Mexico
Huntington Beach...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Zihuatanejo to Troncones - safety

I have a female friend meeting me in Troncones from Zihua a few days after I arrive. I will not be renting a vehicle and trying to avoid multiple taxi fares to and from the airport if possible. I don't mind paying extra to ensure the safest option. Is there a reputable car service anyone can recommend or is the private airport taxi the best option? Any insight would help. thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Troncones
Troncones
Guerrero, Mexico
Seattle
Level Contributor
69 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Zihuatanejo to Troncones - safety

I'll pile on with stating how safe we feel in Troncones. We are there three or four times per year - high and low season. We usually sleep with our doors open so we can hear the ocean and we walk the beach early in the morning and late at night without concern. I take my family and friends to Troncones with no fear. Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Troncones
Troncones
Guerrero, Mexico
Mount Vernon...
Level Contributor
22 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from Zihuatanejo to Troncones - safety

We have visited Ixtapa/Zih for about 6 years, this year we headed out to Troncones.

No problem with driving there and back, its about 20-25 minutes from Z to Troncones.

You can take a taxi from the airport, I think its about $50-60. There are taxis in Troncones, and think its about $50 back to the airport.

There are city buses in Troncones, but I wouldn't want to use them, myself.

We rented a car in January, we reserved with Euro, but when we got to the office they wanted an additional $350 for insurance. Told them no, when I headed out the door, they dropped the amount down to $250.

I headed back into the airport terminal and asked everyone for a quote, for 10 days, Payless was the lowest at $200 for everything. If you rent a car in the airport terminal, ask the agents for their total prices, and go from there.

There were 4 in our party, and it allowed us to drive around and show our guests I & Z.

But no problem with driving. Watch out for potholes in the drive from the highway to Troncones.

If staying in Troncones, be sure you know where you are staying at. The road in Troncones, north, may require you to drive, because of the distance. If you stay in the main portion of Troncones it is all walkable. Lots of restaurants and little grocery stores, a pharmacy, few shops.

If you stay at the Majahua Palms, it will require you to drive on a bad road. I would not drive there at night. Its a long way from Troncones. We seriously considered staying there, it's very nice, but glad we didn't.

You can drive in Troncones at night, but its suggested not to drive the highways at night.

We enjoyed Troncones, will return there on our next trip.

Edited: 07 March 2017, 00:05
Mentioned in this post
Ixtapa
Ixtapa
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Troncones
Troncones
Guerrero, Mexico
Majahua Palms
Majahua Palms
97 Reviews
Troncones, Mexico
Metro...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel from Zihuatanejo to Troncones - safety

Is it safe to travel to Troncones after the latest travel ban. I am more concerned because I am traveling with my 6 year old daughter. What is the safest form of travel from airport to Troncones? If a Taxi is ok, do I just get anyone at the airport or is their a service I can call ahead, would like to know the most safest.

Mentioned in this post
Troncones
Troncones
Guerrero, Mexico
pueblo,co.
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel from Zihuatanejo to Troncones - safety

We have travelled between Zihuatanejo and Troncones for 20 years, several of them with a 2 through 14 year old blonde g-girl ...except for a pat on the head because she is blonde, never an issue on busses or taxis or the beach or the streets.Go! Be brave! Have a great time!

Mentioned in this post
Zihuatanejo
Zihuatanejo
Guerrero, Mexico
Troncones
Troncones
Guerrero, Mexico
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
20 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel from Zihuatanejo to Troncones - safety

Troncones is safe and relaxing (we were there this past week). IMO you don't need a car unless you need to drive to Ixtapa or something like that. We rented bikes, and that plus walking was fine for us. It's quite a small town. And car rentals in Mexico can be (and often are) a real hassle. We used the official taxi service to get to Troncones from the airport, and it was a breeze. Taking one of Troncones taxis back to the airport was about $300 less expensive.

Mentioned in this post
Troncones
Troncones
Guerrero, Mexico
Ixtapa
Ixtapa
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Reply to: Travel from Zihuatanejo to Troncones - safety
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted