We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Troncones vs. Zihuatanejo

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
21 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Troncones vs. Zihuatanejo

Hey guys we will be traveling to Zihua for our honeymoon in November but came across the lovely beach town of Troncones and have fallen in love just off the pictures. Should we split our time between the two or just go to one place? Anybody have suggestions on where to stay??? Car services or recommendable taxi???

Thanks in advance!

16 replies to this topic
Rock Springs WI
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Troncones vs. Zihuatanejo

Great Question. How long are you going to be in the area? I have stayed in both places and I choose Troncones if I only can go to one. If you are there less than 7 days, in my opinion I would choose one place and stay there. Moving midtrip after a few days doesn't allow you to settle in and relax before you have to pick up and go. And relax is what this area is all about.

Anyway, If you decide on Troncones, check out Casa de la Sirena. The third floor mini villa is absolutely awesome - great views and open air kitchen living room, with great views of the pool and ocean. By November I assume most/all restaurants will be open, and there are quite a few to choose from, from high end places down to enramadas on the beach, to the small cenudorias (sp?) in town. All great.

If you go to Troncones make sure you take a day/lunch trip up to the next town Mahajua and each lunch at the enramadas there. Beautiful, quiet beach. Same as Tronconces.

Zih is great too, don't get me wrong. But very different. "Big"er city with more to offer and definitely not as laid back as Troncones. Others will disagree (they are wrong :) !) but to me Troncones offers a more unique experience. You will definitley pretty much have the whole mile long or more beach to yourselves. That is pretty cool in and of itself. Especially, maybe, on your honeymoon.

Enjoy your trip!

Troncones, Mexico
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Troncones vs. Zihuatanejo

Two very different places, but only 20 minutes or so apart. Troncones is very quiet, so if you want night club activity there is very little of that. Lots of restaurants, good variety of foods, miles of near empty beaches. Manzanillo Bay is the even quieter part of Troncones, and probably best for a honeymoon. The Inn @ Manzanillo Bay is a beautiful property with air conditioned bungalows, great views and a good restaurant right on site.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
98 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Troncones vs. Zihuatanejo

Very different experiences. If you are looking for a sleepy, laid back, peaceful experience then definitely Troncones. Zihu is a bustling city but also has lovely beach front hotels. I would vote for Troncones because it is about my favorite place in the world with gorgeous beaches, lovely people and wonderful restaurants. But keep in mind they do not have a large grocery store or last I checked, even an ATM. If you are interested in renting a Villa I highly recommend Dos Palmas. It is beautiful. It is directly on a sandy rock free beach with an oceanfront infinity pool. If you do choose Troncones you could easily daytrip to Zihu.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
21 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Troncones vs. Zihuatanejo

Thank you for your suggestions, you were right Troncones is a dream come true! So quiet and peaceful we fell in love and playa Majahua was so much fun to swim in!

Mount Vernon...
Level Contributor
22 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Troncones vs. Zihuatanejo

There is a ATM machine in Troncones, its at the larger' supermarket on the main drag into Troncones, on the right hand side. From the beach, about 1/4 mile.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Troncones vs. Zihuatanejo

Just be aware that the ATM in Troncones is often “out of commission”, so a good idea to use ATM at Airport or in Z-town to load up on pesos. Many small restaurants in Troncones are “cash only”, but credit cards accepted at most waterfront-restaurants and those located in hotels. For dinner&drinks, figure 15-25/person - a little higher if you want a view.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
171 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Troncones vs. Zihuatanejo

Can somebody here please give me a detailed description of Troncones?

-Is it a sleepy town with restaurants and shops with a plaza or is it more like scattered houses along a long beach?

-Is it walkable? Can I walk to stores to buy food and alcohol?

-What's up with the undertow? I heard it can be bad. Where is it bad exactly?

- How is the food? Is there real street food there?

Berkshire
Level Contributor
688 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Troncones vs. Zihuatanejo

Bump!

Rock Springs WI
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Troncones vs. Zihuatanejo

see the reply i made today to the separate post asking for general description on Troncones

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Troncones vs. Zihuatanejo

Hi there!!!! Do you known Tronco Bay Inn? Im going to Troncones on July with families and friends....is there any restaurant open on low season?? Something to recommend me??

Edited: 18 April 2018, 20:40
Reply to: Troncones vs. Zihuatanejo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Troncones