We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Penitentiary tour

Springfield...
Level Contributor
258 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Penitentiary tour

Husband and I are on our way to Columbia Friday and plan to stop in Jeff City and take the 2-hour history tour of the Missouri State Penitentiary. I see you can buy tickets online but does anyone know if you can simply show-up and buy them there ~ assuming you are there at a tour time?

Mentioned in this post
Columbia
Columbia
Missouri
Missouri State Penitentiary
Missouri State...
554 Reviews
Jefferson City, MO
5 replies to this topic
USA
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Penitentiary tour

Yes, you are allowed to buy tickets at the tour location. Obviously the tours might sell out, and you could be out of luck without a reservation.

Illinois
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Penitentiary tour

You should try to be there for a tour. We recently took the ghost tour and the groups before and after us were quite large but it was a great adventure in a creepy place - lots of history.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
258 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Penitentiary tour

Excellent info and advice! Thank you both! :)

Linn, Missouri
Level Contributor
768 posts
505 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Penitentiary tour

I would purchase your tickets in advance. The tours there sell out quite often and it would be a shame for you all to miss going.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
258 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Penitentiary tour

Update: Buy your tickets in ADVANCE - months if you can!!! All of the tours were sold out for our trip except one and we had to rearrange our itinerary by a couple of hours to be there at the time available. Glad I asked!!! Thanks everyone!!!

Edited: 25 June 2015, 16:28
Reply to: Penitentiary tour
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Jefferson City