We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick trip report

Ohio
Level Contributor
139 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Quick trip report

Thanks to all who helped with input on this... Here's a report of my day and a half in St Louis. (partial of another post-copy and paste is great- haha)

St Louis Arch was amazing!! Went to the top, not overly crowded, but there were a lot of people in a little space. The pods were an experience in themselves. The Monument to a Dream movie is also amazing. I am dumbfounded by some of the things I saw during building. The heights those guys worked at made me queasy seeing it on a film! Also couldn't believe the crowds for the placement of the final piece on the Arch. The museum area is cool too. The baseball exhibit took a lot of my time, lots of fun stuff to see in there--also had to take pictures of everything, especially the how to pitch photos. I can teach a 6yo to pitch a curve ball, sinker, etc...

Walking through the park was nice, and the river view was relaxing. I did not get close enough to the Tom Sawyer/ Becky Thatcher boats, but they looked fun from a distance. Passed Busch Stadium--no games going on- but the team shop got some of my money. Was offered Rams tix, which I didn't take, but I supppose now I would've went just to say I did it. Oh, missed opportunities...

Walked up Market St to courthouse for Dred Scott film and pictures, city garden and beyond, Union Station I could've skipped. Delmar Loop was kinda cool, but not really my style. There was a huge protest/sit-in going on in the median on the way in to the shopping area. Went to the Art Museum and hung out around Forest Park. Ended my day (yes, this was one day) at TED DREWES for a concrete! How can I pass that up?

Before leaving the region the next day, I went to Cahokia Mounds. That was an interesting stop. I was thinking after I hiked up the 165ish steps -yeah I counted- of the Monks mound, that I can see the St Louis skyline perfectly clear, arch and bldgs and all, and I most likely was looking down at this mound while at the top of the Arch.

Overall a great trip, need to head back sometime for a Cards game and some sites I missed.

Mentioned in this post
Busch Stadium
Busch Stadium
4,322 Reviews
Saint Louis, MO
St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
2,947 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick trip report

Thanks so much for the report. We went up in the Arch a couple weeks ago and thought it was fun. Going early makes it better - not crowded to get on the tram or up top for us. A lady from Utah said she didn't think the trip up was worth $10, but I have to say I disagree. The Arch grounds are really amazing when the leaves are turning with the Arch and reflecting ponds.

Cahokia mounds is a worthwhile stop on the way in or out of town. Pretty good museum.

What did you think of the City Garden? Was the Dred Scott film worthwhile? Is it free?

Mentioned in this post
City Garden
City Garden
678 Reviews
Saint Louis, MO
Ohio
Level Contributor
139 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick trip report

City garden was cool--very child oriented. Kids playing in the fountains the day I was there. Cool sculptures and designs.

Dred Scott movie was interesting, it is free -plays every half hour I believe. Courthouse has a lot of construction going on inside. Each room has pictures and stories of historical cases, and of the city's development. Worth a stop.

The Arch was amazing at the top!! I went on a beautiful, sunny day and could really see everything. Can't believe people don't like it... Guess the experience depends on the expectations. The monument movie was definitely cool, gives a better idea of what it took to build the arch.

It was strange how the tram did feel ferris wheel- like on the trip down, didn't notice so much on the way up. The wait wasn't bad at all. I was there around 10:30 am.

I loved the city, wish I could've done more.

Mentioned in this post
City Garden
City Garden
678 Reviews
Saint Louis, MO
3. Re: Quick trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 March 2010, 02:17