We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fairview Heights or Collinsville

Which Saint Louis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northwest Indiana
2 posts
Save Topic
Fairview Heights or Collinsville

Which area is nicer and is closer to St Louis? Also, which area has more restaurants and stores (walmart, target, just in case I forget something)

Thanks

Saint Louis...
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fairview Heights or Collinsville

They are both suburban-type areas, both 10-15 miles from St. Louis. FH is closer to East St. Louis, which is not a good area (but which really doesn't matter for your needs), but both places have plenty of chain hotels, etc. along the interstates. FH has a pretty sizeable mall if that is of any importance. Plus, FH is on the Metrolink (rail), so you can take that into the city, if you are going someplace that it goes (downtown, Central West End, Forest Park, among others).

Saint Louis...
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fairview Heights or Collinsville

They likely both have Wal-Mart and Target or the like, too. It's a populated area - the Metro East (the part of IL that is part of the metro St. Louis area) has about 700,000 people, though spread out over a good-sized area.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
262 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fairview Heights or Collinsville

I live about 5 miles farther east (away from St. Louis) but drive through Fairview Heights every day. Earlier posts about both being suburban were spot on. I personally would choose Fairview Heights or O'fallon (where I live). It is a straight drive via interstate into downtown St. Louis. East St. Louis does not play a role unless you choose to go there (famous for all the wrong reasons). The Metro link (light rail) does go near Fairview Heights but not walking distance to the Hotels sprinled along Interstate 64. Many restaurants of all types within a few mile square area.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
796 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fairview Heights or Collinsville

I live in Collinsville. It's 12 miles to the Arch from here. We have a new Supercenter Walmart and alot of chain restaurants. When we go "Mall type" shopping, we head to Fairview Hgts.

Fairview Hgts, is about the same distance from downtown St. Louis as Collinsville, but the traffic is worse. Fairview has many more restaurants and the big mall.

(macy's * Dillards are the anchor stores)

Collinsville & Fairview Hgts. are 6 miles apart on Hwy 159. An easy 15 minute drive with really no traffic.

Both are nice, upscale, clean, safe areas.

Fairview Heights has much more shopping and alot more restaurants.

5. Re: Fairview Heights or Collinsville

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2010, 02:17