We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breakfast and supper recommends - please & thanks!

Regina
Level Contributor
17 posts
62 reviews
Breakfast and supper recommends - please & thanks!

Can someone comment on the Chinese restaurant in Shelby or recommend one? The reviews are very scattered.

7 replies to this topic
western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
1. Re: Breakfast and supper recommends - please & thanks!

Shelby is a town of 3000 people. If you want authentic Chinese, head to Richmond, BC. I have had some good Chinese at a 100+ year old place in Butte (a huge cosmopolitan city by comparison, with ten times as many residents), so it is not impossible in Montana.

Mongolian Beef is usually pretty good and not deep fat fried. I am not speaking for this particular place, just avoiding the super Americanized entrées like sweet & sour, general tso, chow mein, etc.

The Sports Club and the Alibi Lounge look Montana authentic to me.

Regina
Level Contributor
17 posts
62 reviews
2. Re: Breakfast and supper recommends - please & thanks!

I'll try again, has anyone eaten at Hong Kong Chan's recently? Yelp reviews (2 years old) trash it.

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
7,131 posts
1 review
3. Re: Breakfast and supper recommends - please & thanks!

I got a chuckle out of someone with an username of "pickypickypicky" asking for comments on a Chinese restaurant in Shelby, Montana. As you probably know, everyone has a different idea of what is good and what is not. If you could find 10 people that have gone to the restaurant in question and actively post on the Montana Trip Advisor you would probably get 10 different reviews based on what their personal preferences are and the experience that had when they went.

Deb

Regina
Level Contributor
17 posts
62 reviews
4. Re: Breakfast and supper recommends - please & thanks!

Deb – LOL! I am very “picky” but also understanding of circumstances; the view from my ‘high horse’ is always moderated by my soapbox and the push broom for the other end. Raised in part by a Chinese family whose father was a chef and familiar with the incredible journeys immigrants will take to ‘make it’ in America I would note that Uno Mas Mexican Restaurant, Noonan, ND (pop 121), has 56 Yelp votes with a 4.6 rating! Oh yeah, it’s run by Guatemalans. Packed every weekend! A good Chinese restaurant in Shelby is possible, especially when it is only 90 minutes from Great Falls with 60,000 pop. and grocery wholesalers. Surprises are part of any journey so I jus’ gotta ask.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: Breakfast and supper recommends - please & thanks!

It could happen. The place we went to in Butte had a cook recently arrived from China. The BBQ pork was the best I've ever had. But we had to do some chatting to find out. Most of their clientele are people ordering sweet and sour or chow mein.

Have you ever been to Richmond, BC? Plan a week there - you'll be in heaven.

Regina
Level Contributor
17 posts
62 reviews
6. Re: Breakfast and supper recommends - please & thanks!

Never Richmond but we are in Vancouver and Victoria once year. Vancouver International is right in that neighborhood. Can you recommend a few places?

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
7. Re: Breakfast and supper recommends - please & thanks!

There are way too many to recommend! Check out posts on the Chow Times blog. Urbanspoon is pretty good. All are right near the airport. You couldn't try them all if you moved there and ate out twice a day for two years. Lansdowne Center at No 3 Rd and Lansdowne is a decent place to start. Theres a good seafood/dim sum place at the east entrance.

Little Sheep hot pot has an outlet nearby, too.

Reply to: Breakfast and supper recommends - please & thanks!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Shelby