We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United Airlines cancelled my flight - now what???

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
191 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
United Airlines cancelled my flight - now what???

We are travelling from Australia and arriving in LAX at 9.45am on August 25th. We had booked and paid for a direct flight from LAX to Las Vegas on United Airlines which was to depart LAX at 13.10pm, arriving LAS 14.22pm

Without even warning me, they have cancelled this flight altogether, and have rebooked us on an earlier flight which leaves at 12pm, has a stop over in Palm Springs and then flies onto Vegas.

Our dilemma is that I don't believe that there would be enough time to get off the plane, collect our baggage, pass through customs, get to another terminal, recheck our baggage and get on the next flight!! (please tell me if I am wrong...)

I have therefore requested a refund, but now the prices have nearly doubled since I booked. What should I do?

UK
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: United Airlines cancelled my flight - now what???

Eden, don't listen to the weirdo above, he's some sort of flid I think......

Someone will be able to help you out on TA.

The minimum amount of time that should bre given in a stop over by any airline is 1.5 hours.

We stopped in Chicago once and had 1.5 hours, granted it was a struggle, but we did it. Are you saying you have less than that?

I would not recommend cancelling the flight altogether as rebooking will cost you a shed load extra.

Intercourse...
Level Contributor
663 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: United Airlines cancelled my flight - now what???

The airline will most likely take care of your bags. I've never had to claim and recheck my bags for a connecting flight. I doubt the airline would route you this way if it was immpossible to do. A quick call to the airline would probably clear up all your worries. Would you even need to clear customs again just to connect to another flight?

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: United Airlines cancelled my flight - now what???

Eden, as Jar Jar says ignore the mentally disturbed.

Is your flight from Australia into LAX part of the same booking as your LAX to Vegas flight (on United or one of their partner airlines) or is it something you've done totally seperately?

If it's all part of the same booking you needn't worry. United are obliged to get you to Vegas on their next flight or by some other route and you can ignore the rest of this post.

If it's a seperate booking altogether on an airline unrelated to United, then United have no obligation whatsoever and they are quite within their rights to change your flight times by an hour (classed as a 'minor change' in airline terminology) without you having any comeback.

It's very difficult to say whether or not you'd make the connecting flight. Immigration at LAX can be a nightmare if one or more flights from Asia with a lot of non English speakers land just ahead of you. You may make it but I wouldn't like to commit myself.

It's up to you if you play safe and rebook now or take a chance and should you miss your flight have to buy an even more expensive ticket on the day of travel when it's possible flights may be fully booked anyway. For peace of mind I'd cancel and rebook now.

us
Level Contributor
9,142 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: United Airlines cancelled my flight - now what???

united can book you only what are considered "legal layovers" which this apparently is - 2:15 should work. What would bother me than the time is the fact it is a direct flight, not NS. Call Untied, find out what time the first NS is and see if that suits you better.

IF, and that is IF you miss your LAS flight in LAX United is responsible for reskd you - don't dwell on it, just know it is the airlines respsonsibility.

changing flight schedules is not uncommon, the airlines handle this daily. I know it doesn;t make your situation any better, in reality you don't have a "now what???" United has already handled this for you - I would inquire about a NS - in reality also it is such a short flight the direct flight if it does have a problem in Palm Springs you can still get to LV

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,857 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: United Airlines cancelled my flight - now what???

If your overseas flight lands at 9:45 and the other isn't until noon, you should be fine. However, since United changed your flight automatically without consulting you, if you want a direct flight to Vegas from LAX, contact United and explained that they cancelled your flight and put you on another that you aren't pleased with and ask what your other options are for getting from LAX to LAS. If they mention higher fares or change fees, then be sure to emphasize that you didn't make the change, they did.

I imagine what happened was they put you on the flight that stops in Palm Springs on the way to Vegas because there are plenty of seats on those flights that make stops, saves the airline money to put you on that one rather than a flight with double the fare of what you paid when you'd booked the flight initially.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: United Airlines cancelled my flight - now what???

nodogs, you have to reclaim your bags and clear customs at your first port of entry in the US when arriving on any international flight. This applies to both US citizens and visitors.

UK
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: United Airlines cancelled my flight - now what???

Actually..... When we landed in Chicago from London we didn't see our bags at all. They were just automatically put on the connecting flight, we didn't see them until Vegas.

We thought it was a bit weird and waited for 20 minutes by the carousel... lol. until someone pointed out that they wouldn't xcome out, they would just be taken off our plane from London and automatically put on the plane to Vegas - is this not normal then?

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: United Airlines cancelled my flight - now what???

Jar Jar, I don't know what happened to you guys in Chicago but as a veteran of many many international flights into the States that have subsequently required an onward connecting flight, I've always had to first clear immigration and then claim my bags and clear customs at first port of entry in the US.

As far as I was aware there are no exceptions to this.

Intercourse...
Level Contributor
663 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: United Airlines cancelled my flight - now what???

Thanks blagger. I thought that you only needed to do that if you changed airlines.

UK
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: United Airlines cancelled my flight - now what???

That's very spooky Blagger as I thought we would have to claim them and re-check them etc, but we honestly did not see them once we left London - they were whisked away in Chicago and arrived with us in Vegas. Its a bit worrying really :-(

Another weird thing was that my husband put his cigarette lighter in his hand luggage - stupid I know and it went through all the secutiry checks at Heathrow fine - going through security at Chicago they saw it and confiscated it...... quite rightly, but it was funny that they didn't take it in London.

Airport security never failed to amaze me.... lol