We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Government Shutdown and Upcoming Trip

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tennessee
Level Contributor
284 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Government Shutdown and Upcoming Trip

I hate to be a worrywart, but some if my plans may be affected by a shutdown if it occurs. We are flying from a Knoxville to Vegas on Aug 5th. 2 nights downtown, 2 nights in Baker at the Great Basin National Park, and 4 nights on the strip, coming back on the 13th.

I've read a dozen different reports on what might, could, and will close if this shutdown occurs, but I thought Maybe some of you would gave more insight.

I know the FAA is in a partial shutdown, but flights continue unaffected right now. I heard on the radio this morning that regional airports could start seeing flight curtailments first if the FAA does not get it's authority to collect taxes back. They said that could start happening sometime after the 5th. Anyone know if that's true? Would a full shutdown hasten this?

What about hiking in Great Basin? Do they close the national parks or just the services like the Lehman Cave tours and such?

Also, we were considering day trips to Hoover, and possible Death Valley. Could either of these be affected?

I'd like to make some backup plans, especially for the Great Basin trip, if the parks will be completely closed.

Thanks in advance!

Omaha, Nebraska
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
8,164 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Government Shutdown and Upcoming Trip

Plan for the worst...hope for the best. Never hurts to have alternate plans.

Hmmm...we fly out Sunday; I wouldn't mind getting stuck in Vegas for MORE nights ;-)

DC/NOVA
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
11,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Government Shutdown and Upcoming Trip

Regular flights are not affected. Air traffic controllers are considered essential employees and don't get furloughed.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
284 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Government Shutdown and Upcoming Trip

True enough on the extra days, unfortunately my job wouldn't be as easy going about the extra days as you or me!

Here in Tn, if the Great smokies park shuts down, you can still enter it, hike, etc, they just close the fee use areas like campgrounds, visitor centers, etc. I know some of the parks out west have fees just to enter though. I'll have a bit of money tied up with the hotel in baker if I have to cancel that excursion.

Ballyclare, United...
Level Contributor
1,902 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Government Shutdown and Upcoming Trip

What is this government shutdown, and when is is supposed to happen, or is it a maybe, but or if??

mpo

DC/NOVA
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
11,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Government Shutdown and Upcoming Trip

If it happens, it will be after Aug. 2. It is when our Congress no longer will fund the operation of the government (except of course, for themselves). This time it is because we need to raise our debt ceiling (the amount of money we can borrow). If it isn't raised, they can't borrow money to continue to run the government.

I wonder how quickly they could come to an agreement if their salaries and those of all of their staffers were frozen.

Dublin
Level Contributor
394 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Government Shutdown and Upcoming Trip

MPO8000,

The US Government has until August 2nd to reach a deal to raise the US debt ceiling otherwise the country goes into default and the government cannot pay its bills.

If that happens the Government will go into shutdown and most government employees wont get paid or go into work....

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
14,469 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Government Shutdown and Upcoming Trip

I think they found some extra money that will tidy them over a bit longer so the date is a little later than Aug. 2. I think you'll be able to get there all right-it's the ride back that you have to worry about.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
410 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Government Shutdown and Upcoming Trip

I fly out of Knoxvillle 8/13. I am not the least worried that I won't be able to. This year, we have had at least three "deadlines" on the debt ceiling. As usual, the Medicare, social security recipients etc have been told that these programs "might" not be funded if a deal isn't reached. I have no fear that will happen either. While a few insignificant programs etc might be suspended a short time, most won't even notice. Keep your plans.

Vermont
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Government Shutdown and Upcoming Trip

Washington D.C. and Las Vegas aren't so different, afterall.

Benbrook, Texas
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Government Shutdown and Upcoming Trip

The simillarities of Las Vegas and DC...Both parties are at the roulette table and one group wants to put it all on red, the other wants to out it all on black, while both are hoping the 0 or 00 does not show up.