We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the Golden Steer really worth it?

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
526 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is the Golden Steer really worth it?

Originally I was going to eat at a couple of old-school steak places, but for several reasons (health/diet, cost, ect) have decided to do only one nice dinner at a steakhouse.

I am pretty much set on the Golden Steer.

But, is the food really that good? I'm not a foodie by any means, but I'm not paying $50 for a steak if its just going to be par with say The Outback (can't think of any other chain steak houses)... I picked the Golden Steer for its history & ambiance but I also want a nice moist flavorful steak.

Is the Steer a good choice?

Or would I be better off with the Circus Circus Steakhouse, Binions Steakhouse, or ?? Please don't suggest the newest place on the strip, I only want old school establishments.

And if I decide against the Golden Steer for dinner, do they have a bar? Can I just go there for a drink?

Edited: 10 April 2012, 04:57
1060 W Addison...
Level Contributor
10,143 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the Golden Steer really worth it?

The steaks at Golden Steer are at least as good as Binions or Circus Circus.

massachusetts
Level Contributor
293 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the Golden Steer really worth it?

Yes , it is absolutely worth it. The old school feel is much better, in my opinion, than circus circus steak house. I think the steaks are on par with any steak house I've ever eaten at and the seafood appetizers are also damn good (this from a native new englander)

It's not the food that sets the Golden Steer apart though, it's the staff and the ambience. You kinda have to go to see what I mean.

There is indeed have a bar and I ate at it the last time I was there. They have trays that clip over the edge of the bar so you don't have to bend down as much

The only downside, if you want to call it that, is you need to take a taxi to get there. When you are leaving they will call you a taxi and the driver will come inside to get you.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
526 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the Golden Steer really worth it?

I'm staying at Riviera... since daylight savings gas passed, its light out a lot later, I figured we would I still have dinner around 6... Then if it's still lught out when we are done eating, walk to to Stratosphere (going to observation deck) & then when we are done there, take a taxi back to Riv. IF it's dark out when we are done eating dinner we would take a taxi.

Is that idea not safe?

massachusetts
Level Contributor
293 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the Golden Steer really worth it?

I think that's an excellent idea in theory and actually may do that myself next time. I'm not qualified to give you advice on if the walk is safe or even how far it is. We always arrive and depart by taxi and we come in from the highway which is the opposite direction.

From NYNY or MGM the taxi ride is usually $20 including tip. I'm guessing it would be $10 or $12 from Riviera (I know you didn't ask but I figured I'd volunteer that info)

1060 W Addison...
Level Contributor
10,143 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the Golden Steer really worth it?

The walk along Sahara and up LV Blvd to the Stat is safe. However, the later you go, the fewer people that will be out on the street and you might start to feel a bit uneasy. But anytime after dinner should be fine.

Note that if for some odd reason you decide to "explore the neighborhood" and walked 4-5 blocks in the wrong direction, you could end up in an actual dangerous neighborhood.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
9,463 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the Golden Steer really worth it?

As Zeke said, walking from the Golden Steer back towards Las Vegas Blvd should be fine. But you might not want to walk north from the steakhouse, into the residential area there. It has a bad reputation. Walk straight down Sahara to Bonanza, the World's Biggest Gift Shop, and you should be fine.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
526 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the Golden Steer really worth it?

I wouldn't walk into that neighborhood... but even if I did, it can't be any worse than the neighborhood I lived in when I lived in Vegas in '05, which was such a bad area my co-workers from Caesars literally gasped when I told them which crossroads I lived at.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
526 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the Golden Steer really worth it?

this question is a little bit embarassing, but do they mind if people share meals? I know some places the menu will say something like "$5 for plate sharing", but this menu does not. I'm only asking because I see the size of these steaks, and as much as I want to eat there, I don't know if my stomach (I have stomach problems, so does mom) can handle eating those types of portions. Would make much more sense if we could just split the steak.

massachusetts
Level Contributor
293 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the Golden Steer really worth it?

Not all steaks are huge. I' ve gone from eating two pound bone in ribeye's to the 8oz filet because I simply can't eat like I used to. To answer your question specifically though it's vegas and you can have almost anything you want....for a price. I don't think they'd mind you sharing a plate, especially if you have appetizers and order sides, but as indicate they will more than likely charge you for the privledge.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
526 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is the Golden Steer really worth it?

well, most places its normal to have some fee for sharing a plate. We would plan to get sides, maybe desserts. I just cannot imagine being able to eat more than 4 oz of steak in a sitting, my colon would hate me all night. Gross, but true.