We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GC South Bus Tour that allows Electric Mobility Scooters???.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
99 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
GC South Bus Tour that allows Electric Mobility Scooters???.

As you have all helped with my other questions, I hope you can help with this.

This is the email reply from the Company I contacted. We have used them twice before, though I was not quite as disabled then, and we also didn't have an 84 year old with us who needed help.

"Our bus vendor has made a new policy, and that is anything with a motor is not allowed on the bus (Whether it folds up or not). However a foldup push chair is allowed at the canyon. A lift can be ordered with 7 days notice.

Fold up push chairs are ideal at the South Rim. Motorized carts are just too difficult to get to the views."

We can take it apart and lift it into, and out of a luggage compartment without any type of assistance from the Driver. A lift is NOT needed, as I only need the Mobility Scooter at each end. I can get on and off a bus fine, I just can’t walk more than about 100 yards in one go.

The push chairs may be ideal for others, however, I am physically unable to turn the wheels manually for the 3 mile cliff top pathway from Mather Point to Bright Angel Lodge.

I also fail to see how a Manual wheelchair would be easier for someone to be able get to a view than an Electric Scooter. I just wanted to be able to go along the cliff top. My husband, who walked it last trip, said it was totally fine for my Scooter. Paved and quite level.

My husband will be able to push my Mother In Law (84 years), but naturally can’t push us both. Seems my Scooter is allowed on all Airlines, RTC bus services, Monorail and Trams throughout LV, but not on this Tour Company bus.

Does anyone know of a Tour Bus that can help us out.

The scooter is operated by an 18v battery and measures 40 inch length – 20 inch wide. It comes apart and together easily, which we are happy to do, and also load and unload ourselves. All we wanted was transport to and from the South Rim Grand Canyon.

Grand Adventures Tours
Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Photography Tours, Bus Tours
GC Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Helicopter Tours
GC Flight
Helicopter Tours, Night Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Air Tours, Bus Tours
Grand Canyon Destinations
Helicopter Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Bus Tours, Day Trips
1. Re: GC South Bus Tour that allows Electric Mobility Scooters???.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 February 2013, 03:05
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
99 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GC South Bus Tour that allows Electric Mobility Scooters???.

I have contacted the Tour Company again hoping they can refer me to another Bus tour that can help out.

Failing that, it looks like we will just have to drive there and back, ourselves, in the one day. At least now I know that it seems I can't do any other tours unless we drive.

No matter - I have lemons so will just make lemonade :)

Sioux Falls, South...
Level Contributor
6,608 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GC South Bus Tour that allows Electric Mobility Scooters???.

I hope you are able to find what you are looking for.

Have you called the concierge at your hotel for help? They are experts at getting answers.

Another thought . . . most hotels will have wheelchairs you can borrow/rent for the day. Would that work for you? Then you wouldn't have to do the driving.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GC South Bus Tour that allows Electric Mobility Scooters???.

I really am surprised as I would expect them to have to provide some type of handicapped assitance. Is it legal to ban a scooter with a battery from a bus? Seems like the ADA would have a hey-day with that one?

I would definitely check with the concierge & see if they can make some local phone calls for you that you could then follow up with.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
99 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GC South Bus Tour that allows Electric Mobility Scooters???.

Thanks Reader Pat

Hubby can't push both his Mum and I. That is why I thought that with me being independant on the Scooter, the three of us could manage the cliff top walk together.

I will definiterly follow up with the whoever the official Las Vegas Tourist Authority is, and the Hotel Desk staff, once we get there.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: GC South Bus Tour that allows Electric Mobility Scooters???.

Try nevadatours.net? They do have some wheelchair accessible coaches if you book in advance - not what you are looking for but it might mean they are a bit more 'user friendly' in working with the handicapped?

I do see it says scooters will not fit on the canyons bus system.

Edited: 18 February 2013, 21:02
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
99 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: GC South Bus Tour that allows Electric Mobility Scooters???.

Unbelievable

I just don't understand it. Just got my third email reply from a Tour Company saying they can't help me travel to Grand Canyon South.

I had always heard that the USA Government was extremely good in relation to their Disabled Assistance, and how they helped the disabled to achieve some independence in their daily life. That really doesn't seem to be the case. I am left wondering just where else I will not be allowed to go.

Is there some sort of law that Tour Bus Companies can't carry disassembled Electric Scooters in their luggage compartments? I wonder how a disabled person in an Electric Wheelchair would manage. I hope Stephen Hawking doesn't want to visit the Grand Canyon.

They all allow wheelchairs, just not anything electric. Which means the person has to wheel it themselves or have someone else wheel them.

jgates8

Still waiting on nevadatours.net response.

ps: I am not going to be taking it on the GC Bus System.

birm
Level Contributor
3,087 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: GC South Bus Tour that allows Electric Mobility Scooters???.

I often travel with someone in a w/c. Have for many decades. I'm quite familiar with ADA accommodations.

The ADA laws do provide a wonderful array of protections and requirements for lodging, restaurants, public spaces, etc.

I have never used a bus to the GC where we wanted a to transport a motoried scooter so on this fine point I am making a conclusion based on years of experience and working closely with the disabled community.

The tour company is not refusing you transport or access to the GC, they have offered a lift and have made you an offer of "resonable" accommodation. You have requested a service they do have to provide. You want this service due to your personal situation, which is understandable, although probably not covered by the ADA requirements. Because your husband can't help two users at one time does not mean the bus company has to allow your motorized scooter.

I understand your frustration. 50 yr ago it was much harder for us to help our loved ones in a w/c and the accommodations have come a long way. Please do not use hyperbole to try and make your supposed point. I'm sure if Hawking wanted to visit the GC he could. And so can you.

The tour bus is not the only means of transport. You are not trying to do something that is "required" for work or daily living. You want to take a tour, which you can.

Have you checked with GCNP to see if they allow motorized scooters and if so, do they rent them?

Have you checked the ADA to see if it covers your situation?

birm
Level Contributor
3,087 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: GC South Bus Tour that allows Electric Mobility Scooters???.

So, I've now read the other answers. A few thoughts.

"I really am surprised as I would expect them to have to provide some type of handicapped assitance. Is it legal to ban a scooter with a battery from a bus? Seems like the ADA would have a hey-day with that one? "

The tour company HAS offered handicapped assistance, not just the type the OP wants. Why would the ADA have a hey-dey with this?

"I had always heard that the USA Government was extremely good in relation to their Disabled Assistance, and how they helped the disabled to achieve some independence in their daily life. That really doesn't seem to be the case."

Visiting the GC in a motorized scooter is not part of daily life. The US IS quite ADA friendly and compliant. You are NOT being refused an accommodation for daily life.

"I am left wondering just where else I will not be allowed to go." Almost nowhere. You are NOT being prohibited from visiting the GC.

You have 2 out of 3 people in your party who need help. Please be reasonable and don't bash the ADA or US becasue you don't enough able-bodied helpers in your party. Your comments do nothing to promote awareness and encourage reasonable accommodations for the disabled community.

Edited: 26 February 2013, 06:39
birm
Level Contributor
3,087 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: GC South Bus Tour that allows Electric Mobility Scooters???.

In post 8 that should read "...You have requested a service they do not have to provide."