We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Envelope method of budgeting

chicago suburb
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
65 reviews
61 helpful votes
Envelope method of budgeting
Save

My hubby and I are not budgeters, but our next trip is going to be a long 8 nights, so I know we will need to budget our gambling $. For those of you who do the envelope method, my question is, on the odd chance that you have money left after a particular day, or actually win money and come out ahead on a day, what do you do with it? Do you put it all in the next days envelope, do you spread it out over all the next days envelopes, do you put is in a do not touch envelope to take home with you, do you spend it on something you normally wouldn't have? Just wondering what others do, so I can plan for this interesting concept called "budgeting" lol. It will be a first for us! Ha!

London, United...
Level Contributor
148 posts
6 reviews
11 helpful votes
1. Re: Envelope method of budgeting
Save

We just roll it over to the next day, & keep doing that till the day we leave. Sometimes we come home with money most of the time we'll do some extra shopping.

This year my lovely but geeky husband kept a note of how much we have 'left over' each day, we had about $500 extra but I spent a lot of that in pandora :)

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
28,151 posts
34 reviews
22 helpful votes
2. Re: Envelope method of budgeting
Save

do you put is in a do not touch envelope to take home with you - That's what I do but not as often as I would like.

Omaha, Nebraska
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
9,459 posts
25 reviews
10 helpful votes
3. Re: Envelope method of budgeting
Save

Depends how much I am up. A $1K hit? That goes in a "take home" envelope. I MIGHT take a bit of it to gamble, shop or have a nice dinner with.

If I have some of today's budget left over, sometimes I just roll it over to the next day, or I might divide it up over the remaining days.

DH & I have SEPARATE envelopes--we used to re-divide at the end of each day, but that seemed to benefit him more than me, so NO MORE.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
749 posts
2 reviews
7 helpful votes
4. Re: Envelope method of budgeting
Save

It depends why it's left over. Almost all of our cash is for gambling, but we plan the same amount each day even if we have other plans. Some days we hardly end up gambling so we might decide to put 1/2 to go home and add 1/2 to the next days gambling budget to make up for it. When we win money we end up just taking the chips (after coloring up) or slot redemption tickets up to the room and saving them to cash out on the day we leave. Also anything smaller than a $20 bill automatically gets carried over

PA
Level Contributor
307 posts
1 review
5. Re: Envelope method of budgeting
Save

My husband and I have our own envelopes. I just add mine to the next days budget where as my husband puts his away and only takes that days budget. We both usually come home with the same amount in the end. (he sneaks ot in the morning while I like to sleep in a little)

Temperance, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,414 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
6. Re: Envelope method of budgeting
Save

I've been using this system for years, and I always bring home money. Whatever I have left at the end of the day it just stays in that envelope and I put it back in the safe. Next day start with a new one (each day is marked with the day of the week). This has worked really well for me.

Sturgeon
Level Contributor
559 posts
50 reviews
32 helpful votes
7. Re: Envelope method of budgeting
Save

If one of us hits something around $1,000, we put half of that away. Then splurge on the other half, extra show,mgreat dinner, maybe gamble a little higher level

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,954 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Envelope method of budgeting
Save

Anything left over just comes home with us and we don't even change it back into £££'s, it just gets tucked away for the next visit. We will however add $100 or so to the next days budget if we manage to have a free day.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
17,040 posts
10 reviews
2 helpful votes
9. Re: Envelope method of budgeting
Save

I don't use this system but my understanding is that the point is to take whatever is left over at the end of the day and put it away to bring home.

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
51 reviews
82 helpful votes
10. Re: Envelope method of budgeting
Save

I actually do not use the daily envelope budgeting method. I keep it in a pouch (inside the room safe) which happens to be shaped to store money for my trip. What I'll do is set an average daily budgeted amt., count & take the amt. out of the pouch & rest it atop my pouch. Then I just take a partial amt. (from the daily stack) along with me when I leave my room. If I win a few hundred, I'll pocket those bills & set them aside inside the safe in a separate pile to take back home with me. Naturally if I win something big, that also goes home as well. If I windup having a lucky streak most of the day whereas, I don't use up all of my daily allotment, then I will apply it to the next day's budgeted amt.; & so forth. However, if I see the day's budget is burning away, I "may" pull a hundred OR two from the "take home" stack to pay for that particular evening's nice dinner (if I have one reserved that night).

I'm a person who'd prefer not bringing a bunch of money envelopes with me to Vegas; not when my mechanism works just as equally without them.

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.