We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in the end of November

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
2 days in the end of November

Hello! We’ve never been to the white mountains, but are planning to come for a couple days at the end of November. Any recommendations of things to do or see for first timers? Also, is 2 days enough at that time of the year or should we be doing three days? It is just my husband and I and we plan to stay in Jackson. Thank you!

8 replies to this topic
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,341 posts
250 reviews
1. Re: 2 days in the end of November

3 days would be better.

Boston...
Level Contributor
518 posts
2. Re: 2 days in the end of November

It will be shoulder season, so at least the hotels are cheaper. We go there often right after Thanksgiv. Usually the only thing to do is hiking and shopping. Very rarely have we seen enough snow lower down to do anything. Where in Jackson are you staying?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
5,041 posts
265 reviews
3. Re: 2 days in the end of November

It could be quite cold, so pack your 'early winter Canada' clothes - layers are advise, because it could also warm up nicely during the days.

Drive up Cathedral Ledge outside North Conway for the view across the valley.

Drive the Kancamagus Highway (rte 112) form Conway to Lincoln, stoping at Rocky Gorge and Lower Falls to walk around each.

From Lincoln head north into Franconia Notch, hike down to the Basin. Stop at Echo Lake and Profile Lake (to admire where the 'Old Man of the Mountain' used to be. Take the cable tram to the top of Cannon Mountain if you have enough time.

From north of the Notch, take rte 3 north up to rte 302 east back to Jackson.

Boston...
Level Contributor
518 posts
4. Re: 2 days in the end of November

If I am not wrong, the Cannon tram closes in Nov. for maintainance. Another place worth stopping at is the Mt Washington hotel, off rte 302 in bretton woods, just to wander around in, or have lunch. It has spectacular views of Mt Washington which may already have snow at the summit by then.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
5. Re: 2 days in the end of November

Thank you for the replies! We will probably have lots of snow by then at home, so I was happy to hear we might be able to do a few short hikes! We haven’t actually booked a place to stay yet, any recommendations are welcome! I have looked at thorn hill inn, snowflake inn, and Wentworth Inn, they all look kinda neat!

Jackson, New...
Level Contributor
585 posts
221 reviews
6. Re: 2 days in the end of November

Wentworth is the best Inn in the area. Excellent dining room 5 Star! Thorn Hill and Snowflake are OK but not as much Charm and Character. Also look at Whitney's Inn. Classic Old School Ski Lodge Great Food In the Barn, The Shovel Handle Pub.

Boston...
Level Contributor
518 posts
7. Re: 2 days in the end of November

X2 for the Wentworth. Really good dinner package at not outrageous prices. Also a 3 minute walk from some gorgeous cascading waterfalls.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
8. Re: 2 days in the end of November

Good to know, thank you!

Reply to: 2 days in the end of November
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Jackson
Recent Conversations