We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jackson Info

New York
Level Contributor
21 posts
Jackson Info

Hello,

This my second post for our NH trip which will take place during the week of October 8th. I am inquiring about the town of Jackson, NH as we will be staying here for 2 nights during this week.

1) I am confident the foliage will be close to peak that week - any input?

2) We are planning on staying at the Inn at Jackson - tripadvisor raves about the place so I think we should be good - has anyone stayed there?

3) Any suggestions for a classic NE restaurant/pub? Input on a great hike or paddling excursion?

Thanks!

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
23 reviews
1. Re: Jackson Info

dude- this is a response to another post by adnil1962 that will give you alot of info about the area- best of travels

Here is a post I did on Jackson recently with other suggestions:

For more than a century, visitors have been “strolling the mile,” a mile-long village loop around Jackson. The “Village Mile” is one of nine walks and hikes outlined in a handy guide published by the Jackson Resort Association.

The Snowflake Inn is a newer B&B in the town center (2-3 years old). Every room has a jacuzzi and fireplace and it is an adult only hotel. I think the room comes with an in room massage. The owner makes cookies/pastries for the guests. We went over to an open house once it was a nice place.

The Inn at Thorn Hill is another nice place. They have a great restaurant and wine list and an in house spa. I have never seen the rooms but the inn burnt down several years back and was rebuilt so it is also newer. It is slightly up the hill from the village (mabe 1/8 of a mile). They have gotten tons of awards (check out their website).

The Wentworth (www.thewentworth.com)is also a good choice. Lots of Europeans stay here. The owners Ellie & Fritz are from Europe (Ireland & Swizerland). They have some really great rooms (as pictured on the website) and really bad rooms so make sure you ask for the ones on the website. They are across the street from the Snowflake. They have a cute bar and a piano player on Fri/Sat nights. The restaurant is pretty good too. This is where we own our condo - we don't rent ours out but others do through Ellie/Fritz you can get a 2 bedroom/2.5 bath condo with full kitchen/fireplace.

Last, the Lodge at Jackson Village is also a great choice (they are rated # 1 in Jackson on trip advisor). We also met the owners at an open house. They were very nice. The rooms are all very cute. They are located at the end of the village across the street.

Eagle Mountain House used to be a nice place years ago but they have really let the place go. We have golfed there and been to their Sunday brunch. They have been trying to sell off the units as time share I am guessing because they don't have the cash to put into the place. It is also about a mile ouside of the village.

You mention that you plan to go on the Cog Railway. I wanted to let you know that is is on the other side on Mt. Washington up near Bretton Woods not near Jackson. Also, it is a big rip off. A very slow smoky ride and then when you get to the top they let you look around for 5 minutes before they make you reboard and head down.

I would instead recommend the Mt Washington Auto Road. It is close to Jackson (about 10 miles) and you can stay on top as long as you like. If you don't want to drive your own car there are vans that will take you up. If you are hikers you can hike the Tuckerman's Ravine trail to the top (about 3 1/2 hour hike) which starts in Pinkham Notch near the Auto Road. You can hike down or take a van. We've hiked with a 5 year old and a 73 year old - it is a tough hike but doable. Just check the weather first they may already have snow in October.

As far as eating - lots of great places right in Jackson Village that you can walk to from any of the hotels I have mentioned:

Shannon Door Pub - Irish food, excellent pizzas and have 2 Irish guys with guitars on Fri/Sat - they accept only cash but have an ATM machine inside.

J-Town Deli - great place for picking up groceries, good lunch sandwiches/picnic food, breakfast is okay, not great but it is a great place to sit on Sunday with a newspaper and meet some of the locals.

Thompson House Eatery - mid to upscale dining - great food especially their salads.

Wilcat Tavern - fun on Tuesday nights, its an open Mike nite. They have a fine dining establishment and a pub. Both have great food. Under new ownership and I have to say it's gotten even better.

I have already mentioned the Wentworth & Inn at Thorn Hill - both are fine dining.

The Red Fox Pub - casual, affordable and really cheap good Sunday brunch. They have a kid's only room where families sit and kids can run around and do what they want - play with toys, watch movies, etc.

Yesterdays - awesome breakfast!!

Outside of Jackson try:

Horsefeathers in North Conway - has been around for years, great place, great food - casual dining but serve some unique foods. Try the Asparagus Crab Bisque.

For a great Sunday Brunch (a bit expensive but well worth the price - need reservations) stop by the White Mountain Hotel in North Conway (off of West Side Road at Hales Location). While there take a drive up Cathedral Ledge for great views of the valley.

Also check out Mae Kelly's Cottage Restaurant North Conway - good food (Irish) - the owners are very nice. Lots of locals go here on Friday evenings to sit out on the deck, have a few drinks and listen to the band.

For a great Italian meal check out Bellini's in North Conway. The owner Vito is very personable and goes out of his way to make sure his guests are happy - if you are from Italy this is probably not a good choice as it is not as good as the meals I have had there - but close!!

We have also had good meals at Delaney's Hole in the Wall, North Conway (they serve everything but have great sushi).

The 1785 Inn (North Conway) is very upscale & expensive but the food was great.

The Lobster Trap is good if you are looking for seafood (casual dining on Westside Road in North Conway).

Pick up a copy of The Mountain Ear - it's a free weekly newspaper that comes out on Thursdays that lists all of the local events/happenings.

A good overview is offered by the Five-Mile Circuit Drive up Route 16B into the mountains east of Jackson, a loop worth driving both directions for different perspectives. Look for spectacular glimpses of Mount Washington, and stop for a picnic, a swim or a stroll through the picturesque cascades called Jackson Falls, part of the Wildcat River just above the village.

Try to get up early or stay out at sunset. If you take a right out of Jackson Village and head to Gorham at early and late hours you are bound to see some Moose. Just drive slowly and keep your eyes in the woods. They seem to come out only in the spring and fall. We did this drive in April and saw 7 moose in a 10 mile drive. At the bar that evening we met a man who had seen 18 that evening.

If you make it out to Gorham (about 20 miles) have dinner at Libby's Bistro - the owner graduated from the same culinary school as I did. Call first as they are not open every night and its small so you may need reservations - really great food!!

Doesn't sound like you are in to shopping but if you are the North Conway Outlet stores will have some good deals.

Our favorite place to stop is White Birch Books a locally owned bookstore. You can sit and read or buy. Lots of books by local authors, guidebooks, hiking, etc...

North Conway traffic can be brutal - get a good map and use the road only locals know about to get around the center. North/South Road to the Intervale Crossroad back to Rt 16 to get to Jackson - or from Conway take West Side Road to Bartlett then 302 to 16 to Jackson. North/South Road is fastest

UK
Level Contributor
119 posts
72 reviews
2. Re: Jackson Info

you have some great info in the post above

Here are a few websites worth a look:

http://www.jacksonnh.com/

visitnh.gov/best-time-to-visit/event-calenda…

http://www.mountwashingtonvalley.com/

I have visited Jackson many times - please post a message if you have any questions about specific restaurants/pubs

Enjoy yourself - Jackson is beautiful

Whitefield, New...
Level Contributor
160 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Jackson Info

Great info. from "day"... from a local's perspective, be sure to check out Thompson House Eatery (one of my favorites) for mid-upscale dining, Delaney's Hole in the Wall for casual, extensive menu (including sushi), and Mae Kelley's Cottage for great Irish food (the bar is hidden in the back...).

As for foliage Oct. 8, you're likely to see many yellows and golds, but my guess is the reds and oranges will mostly be gone. I think the best bet for "peak" is generally the last week in September.

Happy travels!

Barre, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
144 posts
30 reviews
4. Re: Jackson Info

I was in Jackson last week until 9/15. The leaves were just starting to turn color. I bet you'll see a lot of color in 3 weeks.

I can recommend two great restaurants that we ate at. Moat Mountain in North Conway. Good spicy food and lots of homemade brews available. Also, the Red Fox Grille in Jackson. Service and food were great.

Chicago
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
5. Re: Jackson Info

I just stayed at the Inn at Jackson. I loved it there. Very nice rooms and the owner is so nice and informative.

New York
Level Contributor
21 posts
6. Re: Jackson Info

thanks DUDE!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,372 posts
58 reviews
7. Re: Jackson Info

Just a thought. While I like a nice dinner, I usually don't want to sit down to a big breakfast also. There is a small bakery in Jackson for coffee and a muffin. I also love Kringles which is on Rt 16 about 3/4 mile before you turn into Jackson. It has great breakfast sandwiches and great subs and is very inexpensive. Pick up some food so you don't waste your time indoors.

CT
2 posts
8. Re: Jackson Info

Hello, do you have any suggestions for visiting Jackson, NH, I am going there with my husband, two year old and four year old. Now that Storyland is closed, not sure what we will do??? ANy HELP would be so appreciated!!!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,372 posts
58 reviews
9. Re: Jackson Info

Sowgy

Having spent a number of weeks in the summer near Jackson, knowing that Storyland is closed is 2 good reasons to go. But, I digress. I think that Santa's village is open all year. You would think so anyway. There are gondola rides at various mountains. The Cog railway is open year round. I am really not sure what else stays open but these things are not hard to find out. You don't say when you are going but some short hikes should be possible. N. Conway should be all decked out. Stay at a hotel with an indoor pool. You can try visitnh.gov for info. Have a great time.

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
19 reviews
10. Re: Jackson Info

Go for a drive. Everything is beutiful. Head over to Wildcat Mountain and there is a gondola up the mountain. We were recently in Jackson with our 3 and 5 year old sons. We always enjoy the train in North Conway. THere is a big play ground near the train station. There is a new childrens museum right near the area as well. We haven't been there yet but I plan on checking it out on a future visit. http://www.mwvchildrensmuseum.org/ There is a great little diner called Glen Junction that has a train that runs around the ceiling. For a family friendly dinner go to the Red Fox pub http://www.redfoxpub.com/ they have a play room and a great kids menu. Santas village is NOT open year round. I think it opens again the weekend after Thanksgiving and weekends in December. Jefferson is a good hour plus from Jackson. Cathedral Ledge is a good family friendly hike as you can drive close to the top if wanted but still enjoy the great views at the top.

Get answers to your questions about Jackson
Recent Conversations