We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Want to arrive by 5:30pm-est. drive time

Houston
Level Contributor
1,249 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Want to arrive by 5:30pm-est. drive time

Travel date: Wednesday, Oct 8

We want to drive from Lincoln to Jackson in the late afternoon..arriving in Jackson about 5:30pm (before dark). Posters have mentioned the traffic in N. Conway and a couple of local alternate roads to avoid this. Can you give me a reasonable estimated drive time and specific directions for alternate roads. Thanks

central pa
14 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Want to arrive by 5:30pm-est. drive time

I must make a correction to the last 2 posts.Bear Notch Road is a paved road. There is 1 scenic overlook going up from the Kanc and 2 on the Bartlett side. The website that was suggested is no longer correct. The gas station has closed. There is a small mom and pop store at the end.

There are 2 overlooks on the Kanc you go up from Lincoln and 2 on the Conway side. There is another nice pull off as you are headind down that is called Lily Pond right along the road.

Bear Notch Rd. is just past Jigger Johnson Campgrounds and is approx. 8 miles long. Watch your speed as the moose are quite active and can appear out of nowhere.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Want to arrive by 5:30pm-est. drive time

neslaw - I've been on Bear Notch a few times in the past and I remember it as being paved although very bumpy. I guess it is possible that the state could be redoing the road.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,084 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Want to arrive by 5:30pm-est. drive time

The pavement is not the typical tar or concrete that we see in most parts of the country. In that area they use a product known as 'hot top'. It's a tar like pavement that is thinner and expands or contracts with temperature variations but is also subject to frost heaves and pot holes, so be careful as you drive on these roads. When I was last in NH in April, I saw a lot of road damage from the heavy snowfall and frost this past winter.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,366 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Want to arrive by 5:30pm-est. drive time

Don't beat me up too bad. I did not get out and kick the ground on Bear Notch. I do know that speeding was not an issue because it is so bumpy. The point is still well taken, I think- it is not a smooth ride for that 8 miles. Again, it is a great ride- I was just trying to give a comparison between that as a short cut to Jackson/Bartlett vs. taking the West Side Hwy (which is what Nextstopls was referring to in that post)

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Want to arrive by 5:30pm-est. drive time

Neslaw - beat you up, no way. That is saved for OTC. When you mentioned it not being paved, I really had too think about it knowing I had taken it many times. Everyone on this forum is very helpful and tries to give the best info possibly. Keep up the good work!

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Want to arrive by 5:30pm-est. drive time

Dav, you beat me to the "punch". I recently used the GPS to lead me over an unpaved access road "short cut" over a mountain in the waterville valley area in my minivan. It was dumb. I am happy to drive my minivan any time over Bear Notch road when it is open. It is narrow in places but certainly drivable. It is important that we make the distinction between paved and unpaved. It make s a big difference and usually there is a good reason why the road are unpaved.

No hard feelings, just a friendly bit of advice. We wouldn't want to lead any visitors a stray.

17. Re: Want to arrive by 5:30pm-est. drive time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 10:18
Get answers to your questions about Jackson