We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow at Christmas

Scotland, UK
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Snow at Christmas

Is there likely to be much snow at Christmas time?

We are planning a trip to New England and have been recommended the Eagle Mountain Inn, but I would for there to be lots of snow!

Thanks in advance

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,252 posts
23 reviews
1. Re: Snow at Christmas

Whether there is snow at all, let alone lots of it, is variable from year to year. Your chance are certainly better up north, such as Jackson. While snow in November is not uncommon, it is also not uncommon for it to melt if there is a warm up (especially if it rains) before the next snow storm. On the other hand, you can get plenty of snow through December, as we did this past winter, though I think I recall that more of that was south rather than north. That said, it should be plenty cold, especially on the mountains, and there will be snow for skiing.

Folks more familiar with Jackson specifically may have some ideas about how consistently they have snow for Christmas.

Scotland, UK
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: Snow at Christmas

Thank you for your quick reply. I know it is a tricky question to answer!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,183 posts
250 reviews
3. Re: Snow at Christmas

The only person in the world who seems to be able to predict the weather more than a week in advance is Algore. And he says that all of the snow in the world is melting. Sorry.

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
19 reviews
4. Re: Snow at Christmas

As good a chance as any where else in New England. Also, there are a large number of good quality Inns in Jackson. I recommend reading all the reviews here on the TA hotel section to get a good impression. My only hesitation on the Eagle Mountain Inn is that it is a bit up the Mountain. Make sure you get a car with all wheel drive if you are hoping for snow.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
23 reviews
5. Re: Snow at Christmas

Eagle Mtn is also a "time share" so there could be a significant number of children depending on when you go. There are a number of great inn's and b&b's in Jackson so if you need any info, just let us know.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,377 posts
58 reviews
6. Re: Snow at Christmas

I got excited. I thought the post was to inform us there would be snow at Christmas. Always iffy, but that's New England. I have skiied Mt. Tremblant for a number of years now and alot of UK type folks have been going there because the Alps have been iffy as well. As for Eagle Mountain Inn, it is a little rough around the edges but it is pretty old by yankee standards. If you go to badgerrealty.com and search for properties $5ok or less in Jackson, all the results will be units for sale at EMI. You would get a truer picture than the resort website. Note that alot of the listings do not have a picture of the room. It has a very good restaurant. Alot of people stay there for the xcountry skiing. It would not be my first choice but it does have a certain ambiance.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,252 posts
23 reviews
7. Re: Snow at Christmas

All Wheel Drive would be nice, but not necessary, unless you envision yourself driving during the snowstorm. Towns in NH are very good about snow removal, even during the storm, and even after a 2 foot snowstorm, the roads will be clear the next day. If you can afford it, and want to, ask for it. But don't feel that you will be disadvantaged without AWD.

Scotland, UK
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
8. Re: Snow at Christmas

Thank you all for your replies. I have never been to USa let alone New England so am pretty clueless. Luckily I have not booked Eagle Mountain Inn yet, the lady from Kuoni recommended it. I asked her about the \Wentworth but they don't deal with them apparently. It really is a once in a lifetime trip for us so I want to get it right!

I will give your my wish list in the hope of some great advice, I hope that is okay

Two adults

A 3 year old and a one year old

2 nights in New york

Fly to Boston/ or somewher further north and miss out Boston altogether

One night in Boston and collect hire car

Drive to somewhere in New England - Somewhere that usually has snow, is quaint and will be Christmassy with plenty to do for a young family!

Impossible?!

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
19 reviews
9. Re: Snow at Christmas

Don't get me wrong. I love the White Mountains. I have been there many times with my little ones at the same age as yours. BUT in the fall not the Winter. They are too little to ski or snow shoe or do some of the other snow sports. I would recommend shifting your New England adventure over to the Stowe Vermont area. They have also been there with my little ones at 1 and 3 and there (in the Summer) and it jsut seems like it might have more to occupy them. Keep inmind BOTH localations will be cold. One benefit to staying in the white Mountains/NH would be a visit to Santa's village which opens in Late November & December for visits with Santa.

In Jackson, I have stayed at the Christmas Farm Inn with my kids. Due to a managment change I am less pleased with them than I used to be. There is a lovely spa on site. In North conway there are a number of additional options. You might want to look into the Red Jacket Resort where they resently opened an indoor water park.

Also, I would skip flying into Boston. (Where are you flying back to Scotland from?) For Domestic flights I would go from New Your to either Portland ME, or Manchester NH. If you are interested in Stowe VT fly into Burlington VT.

Boston is a great city, well worth a visit but it doesn't seem like you have the time to stay around there. Flying into the other cities will help cut down on your drive time..

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
19 reviews
10. Re: Snow at Christmas

Are you familiar with the Polar Express? In the White Mountains they reinact the experiance every winter. There is a very rich train history in the area as well. Tickets are very difficult to get and are only available via lottery to NH residents. Many are bought by area hotels which create Polar Express packages. I tripped across the one at Lodge and thought you might want to look into this. Istayed here about 10 years ago after a week back packing in the mountains. It was a very well kept location. lodgeatjacksonvillage.com/packages/index.php

Get answers to your questions about Jackson
Recent Conversations