We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow at Christmas

Scotland, UK
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Snow at Christmas

Is there likely to be much snow at Christmas time?

We are planning a trip to New England and have been recommended the Eagle Mountain Inn, but I would for there to be lots of snow!

Thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
New England
New England
United States
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,266 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Snow at Christmas

BCC has some good suggestions. Some random ramblings. I would recommend Wentworth Inn, Inn at Thorn Hill, or Christmas Farm Inn among many other places in the Jackson area. Stowe, Vt is another quintessential NE place to be for Xmas. Just watch Bing Crosby in White Christmas. It is more expensive generally than the N. Conway area if that is a factor. I have spent the great majority of the past 39 Xmas holidays on a NE ski holiday. It is always magical for me and I started my kids at 3 and 5. I have read about but not taken the Polar Express. It looks like an incredible experience for the kids and the kid in us. The easiest (and probably only) way is to stay somewhere that includes it in a package.

As for Boston. I would recommend skipping it if you have already spent time in NY. Not easy for me to say having grown up in Boston, but for my money, I would get out of the city, smell the fresh air, take a sleigh ride, sip some hot chocolate, sing some carols, go sledding and just relax away from all the hubbub of the big city.

Post Pictures!!! and please report back to us.

Mentioned in this post
The Inn at Thorn Hill & Spa
The Inn at Thorn Hill...
742 Reviews
Jackson, NH
Christmas Farm Inn
Christmas Farm Inn
342 Reviews
Jackson, NH
Stowe
Stowe
Vermont
Conway
Conway
White Mountains, NH
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Snow at Christmas

Just in case you are not familiar with The Polar Express, it is a children's book with a magical story and wonderful illustrations. If you read it with your kids, the 3 year old will probably be excited and engaged int he trip.

A thought on the airport and flying from NYC. You might want to consider getting your car in NY and driving from there. By the time you get to the airport an hour and a half early, the hour +/- flight, and dealing with the airport, picking up checked luggage, renting your car, etc., you have saved no time over driving. The drive from NYC to Boston or Manchester, NH is about 4 hours +/-. Portland is another hour and a half or two.

Another thought about driving. If you have never driven on the right-hand side of the road, left side of the car, you will probably experience an adjustment period. Leaving an airport, and especially a major city like NYC, can put the greatest challenge right at the beginning. If you have an option to rent from an outlying location, that may give you a chance to adjust before getting in the fray of city traffic.

If you rent in Manchester or Portland, these are much smaller cities. A lot less hassle getting adjusted as you leave the airport and get on the highway.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Manchester
Manchester
New Hampshire
NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Snow at Christmas

The White Mts offer plenty of fine skiing. I don't know how big a mountain must be for snow shoeing, but there are plenty of great trails. Skiing is a big part of New Hampshire winters and even if Mother Nature has not provided the real stuff, man made snow will be on the slopes.

Mentioned in this post
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States
Scotland, UK
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Snow at Christmas

thank you for all your responses, hints and tips. Some food for thougth there.

Would you choose The Lodge at Jackson Village, The Wentworth or the Christmas Farm Inn? for the 7 night stay?

If anyone ever needs help on the Scottigh Highlands or Edinburgh give me a shout!

xx

Mentioned in this post
Lodge at Jackson Village
Lodge at Jackson Village
521 Reviews
Jackson, NH
The Wentworth
The Wentworth
913 Reviews
Jackson, NH
Christmas Farm Inn
Christmas Farm Inn
342 Reviews
Jackson, NH
Highlands
Highlands
North Carolina Mountains, NC
Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Snow at Christmas

If you are considering the Polar express you will need to book a package through a hotel that offers it. I would pick the Wentworth or the Lodge over Christmas Farm Inn just because you are dealing with 2 little kids. The Christmas Farm Inn is up a little hill and the various cabins and different room choices are also on the hill and can be a bit slippery. The Wentworth is smack dap in the center of Jackson. the lodge is a bit down the road and by itself...but they get very high marks from visitors. Be sure to read the reviews on TA for all 3. They are all solid good choices, so no major worries but I always feel drawn to one over another once I read reviews. It's more a part of what my personality is and what I am looking for.

Also be sure to check out http://www.santasvillage.com/ We took our kids in May and had a blast.

I lived in Ayr, Scotland when I was 7-9. LOVED it. We had the oppurtunity to go back 2 summers ago with my parents, bro, sis and all our kids. 13 in all. It is still a georgeuos as I remember. I hope to get back again someday soon :)

Mentioned in this post
The Wentworth
The Wentworth
913 Reviews
Jackson, NH
Christmas Farm Inn
Christmas Farm Inn
342 Reviews
Jackson, NH
Jackson, New...
Level Contributor
112 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Snow at Christmas

We live in Jackson (officially moved here full time 3 weeks ago!!). Prior to our move we have been up most weekends for the past 5 years. Our place is small so we often must ask guests to stay at local inns.

Eagle Mountain's rooms are quite outdated & old....

If this is a once in a lifetime trip, I would recommend the Inn at Thorn Hill (in the hotel, not carriage house), Christmas Farm Inn or the Lodge at Jackson.

As for snow at Xmas - 50/50 shot.... Last year it seemed like it snowed daily through April!!! But the two years prior we really had nothing until a few big storms in late March....

Mentioned in this post
The Inn at Thorn Hill & Spa
The Inn at Thorn Hill...
742 Reviews
Jackson, NH
Christmas Farm Inn
Christmas Farm Inn
342 Reviews
Jackson, NH
17. Re: Snow at Christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 18:17
Get answers to your questions about Jackson