We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

alternative route - portland to north conway

Which North Conway hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
morgan hill, ca
Level Contributor
56 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
alternative route - portland to north conway

same question as the below one except wondering if boston to portland to north conway would be a better route...if so what is the best drive from portland to north conway

thanks

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: alternative route - portland to north conway

No better just longer and different. Are you planning on visiting portland?

morgan hill, ca
Level Contributor
56 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: alternative route - portland to north conway

no just thought it might be a nicer way to get from boston to north conway via portland instead of portsmouth

Lake Winnipesaukee...
Level Contributor
33 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: alternative route - portland to north conway

You would have to drive through Portsmouth to get to Portland, so from Portsmouth you're heading North and East to Portland, then heading West to N. Conway. It's not a particularly pretty drive if you stay on the throughway. I'm not sure what the 'question below' was, so don't know if this helps or not.

Maine
Level Contributor
887 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: alternative route - portland to north conway

From Portland to North Conway, I would suggest taking Rt. 302. If you're taking I-95 from Portsmouth, then I would remain on it past the Portland area until you get to exit 63 in Gray, ME. Then take a left onto Rt. 115 to Rt. 302. After getting on 302 then you'll be going through the lakes region (Sebago Lake, Long Lake, etc). Continue on through Bridgeton and Fryeburg to North Conway. Depending on when you're traveling this could give you some nice foliage also.

morgan hill, ca
Level Contributor
56 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: alternative route - portland to north conway

thanks that sounds like a rather interesting route

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: alternative route - portland to north conway

I second soxfan's suggestion of taking 302 at exit 63. This is our choice of routes. It is lovely in the fall, travelling through the small towns. You will also pass by Shawnee Peak Ski resort which is very scenic. As you drive along the 302, and get nearer to the Mt. Washington Valley, you can see the mountains in the distance.

morgan hill, ca
Level Contributor
56 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: alternative route - portland to north conway

why wouldn't it be better to just take 302 from portland instead of going up to gray and then backtracking to 302

just wondering

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: alternative route - portland to north conway

For us, we find it to be a more scenic route. We used to do that, take 302 from Portland. If you are looking for a quicker, alternate route, take 302 from Portland. If you are looking for a more scenic route that gives you a sample of the scenery that the Lakes region of Maine has to offer on your way to the White Mountains, take exit 63 at Gray.

As you were looking for suggestions for alternate routes, we were trying to offer them

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: alternative route - portland to north conway

weil you have the best route from portland to NC, but still don't think it is the best route from Boston

Maine
Level Contributor
887 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: alternative route - portland to north conway

It's quicker to take the highway to Gray instead of taking 302 all the way from Portland. Plus, the portion of 302 you would be avoiding is not what I would consider to be scenic. It's much more built up, strip malls, traffic lights, car repair places, etc.

North Windham (where you would be picking up 302 if going further up the highway) is the northern end of all that development. So since there is nothing much to see, I would rather be doing 70 on the highway than 35-40 on 302.