We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Franschhoek or Stellenbosch - Opinion for Our Needs PLS???

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
383 posts
18 reviews
Franschhoek or Stellenbosch - Opinion for Our Needs PLS???

Ok please do not yell at me I realize this topic has been beat to death. After reading numerous (sometimes very HOT tempered threads) about Franschhoek versus Stellenbosch I still find myself still conflicted on which town to base out of. We have never been to the area so I was hoping for some advice.

Our focus for this part is wine and food. I know that is what everyone says right ;o) We are experienced wine people and have spent time in many wonderful wineland locations. We are also huge foodies. Ruste en Vrede will be a spot we eat for sure! We will be spending 3 nights in the area and our focus will be on tasting top quality big bold red wines. We prefer the smaller production winery experience but will not discriminate for a good bottle ;o) Where would be the best base out of for our needs? I understand that Franschhoek is very beautiful but that is not our focus for this portion of the trip. Like I said it will be all about the food and wine for the two full days.

In case it matters our timeframe is late August. Also we have a 5:45am flight on the final morning out of CPT which was one reason Stellenbosch seemed a little better. We are willing to drive the extra though if it is worth it from Franschhoek. We just want to be a central as possible for our two priorities so we are not spending more time dringing then tasting and eating ;o) We will surely visit both towns but just wondering which is better to base out of.

Thoughts??? I really appreciate the feedback!

Edited: 27 March 2013, 16:54
Sion, Switzerland
Level Contributor
32 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Franschhoek or Stellenbosch - Opinion for Our Needs PLS???

Definitely Frandschhoek.

Much nicer place i found. Stellenbosch did not gave us a holiday feel. we stayed in stellenbosch and wished we would have stayed in Fr.

just posted our trip report if you interested

…travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/…tpod.html

C

Swellendam, South...
Level Contributor
183 posts
48 reviews
2. Re: Franschhoek or Stellenbosch - Opinion for Our Needs PLS???

My husband and I chose to stay away from Franschhoek (we're Western Cape locals) as we thought it was pretentious, touristy and overpriced. However, we were fortunate enough to spend a weekend there last weekend (first time in 10 years!) - we LOVED it. If food & wine are your focus, then I absolutely and without hesitation, recommend Franschhoek. They have simply got it right. From handcrafted macaroons at the local coffee shop, homemade double cream breakfast yoghurt at Le Quartier to the most divine chocolate ganache tartlet I have ever tasted from the local Saturday market, you can expect quality & a passion in every offering. You could actually eat & drink your way from one end to the other and not be disappointed. Husband tried a glass of the Grand Provence Sauvignon Blanc at lunch one day and we went out and bought a case.

So, in my humble opinion and having experienced Franschoek very recently, book immediately.

Where do you plan to stay? Have a look at La Clé des Montagne... magnificent.

Thank you for choosing to visit South Africa! Your support benefits all of us.

3. Re: Franschhoek or Stellenbosch - Opinion for Our Needs PLS???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2018, 12:22
Hamburg
Level Contributor
375 posts
28 reviews
4. Re: Franschhoek or Stellenbosch - Opinion for Our Needs PLS???

If Food is your ball game, it is not easy to decide between Franschhoek and Stellenbosch, really difficult, we are alternating our stays in Farnschhoek and Stellenbosch every year.

Franschhoek used to be the food capital of the winelands and does still have a lot of first class restaurants, and quite a number have the advantage that you can walk (it's safe) if you have a central accomodation.

During the last years Stellenbosch developped a lot and is in my opinion at least on par with Franschhoek looking at places like Rust en Vrede (wow, you will enjoy that place) Tokara, Jordan or Delaire Graff which also has a top Asian restaurant.There are still a few more and an insider tip is the Makaron Restaurant at Majeka House, we loved it.....

Whereever you stay in Stellenbosch, at least to the places I mentioned you have to drive or take a taxi (no problem)

Gavin S. :We never had the slightest problem with raucous students in Stellenbosch.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
383 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: Franschhoek or Stellenbosch - Opinion for Our Needs PLS???

A HUGE Thanks to all of you. I so appreciate the feedback!!! "ONMYTRAVELS" your hit the nail on the head for me. As I started researching the restaurants I began to question my choice of Franschhoek because there were so many great spots in Stellenbosch.

Question?? Approximately what might it cost for a taxi from Franschhoek to Stellenbosch? Is it feasible to expect to have availability of a taxi for a dinner RT to Stellenbosch?

Have a great day!

Stratford-upon-avon...
Level Contributor
13 posts
23 reviews
6. Re: Franschhoek or Stellenbosch - Opinion for Our Needs PLS???

Just got back from three days in Franschhoek and have to say found it very touristy but would happily stay there again, Stellenbosch is more of a commercial centre (and uni town) but still very pleasant. Have to say that for us Franschhoek just edged it - traffic in Stell can be a pain. The only downside for us was the strong winds pretty much all of the time, although that may be seasonal, but there were plenty of good restaurants catering to all budgets.

Stratford-upon-avon...
Level Contributor
13 posts
23 reviews
7. Re: Franschhoek or Stellenbosch - Opinion for Our Needs PLS???

Just got back from three days in Franschhoek and have to say found it very touristy but would happily stay there again, Stellenbosch is more of a commercial centre (and uni town) but still very pleasant. Have to say that for us Franschhoek just edged it - traffic in Stell can be a pain. The only downside for us was the strong winds pretty much all of the time, although that may be seasonal, but there were plenty of good restaurants catering to all budgets.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
8. Re: Franschhoek or Stellenbosch - Opinion for Our Needs PLS???

i would suggest the first 2 nights in Franschhoek and then the last night in Stellenbosch, thus you could spend a day in each town, be close to the airport for your departure, and eat and Rust en Vrede on your last night. Perfect. Why choose when you can have the best of both worlds!

Hamburg
Level Contributor
375 posts
28 reviews
9. Re: Franschhoek or Stellenbosch - Opinion for Our Needs PLS???

As we always walk to the restaurants in Franschhoek, (or drive ourselves) I am not sure about taxi availability there, Franschhoek is small and I think, it could be a problem but some of the locals here in the forum will surely know. May be you can rent a private taxi and the guesthouse can hep.

In Stellenbosch no problem, the guesthouse resp. the restaurant will do it for you.

If you booked already in Franschhoek, I suggest you only dine once in Stellenbosch i.e. in R&V, as this is really an outstanding place in terms of food, ambience and service + the location.Franschhoek itself has so many other very good restaurants and even as a "Super Foodie" you won't disappointed.

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,086 posts
185 reviews
10. Re: Franschhoek or Stellenbosch - Opinion for Our Needs PLS???

We stay in Stellenbosch every year & have just returned. It's a real town with a heart & some beautiful walks along the river past the university campus. (Note: No raucous students!) We stay at Aan Dorpstraat Guest House,

http://aandorpstraat.co.za/,

which is only 5 minutes walk from the town centre which is ideal for dining out in the evening. Rust en Vrede is 10 minutes away, the cab fare is neglible.

For big, bold reds, try my favourite, Thelema. I've just returned with 30 bottles of their superb Merlot Reserve.

I find Franschhoek to be far too touristy with hoards of people wandering aimlessly up & down the main street.