We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place for safari?

London, England...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Best place for safari?

Hi everyone we are busy researching our honeymoon and part of what we would like to do is a safari. We are looking at various places but am finding it all mind boggling! Lots of recommendations but hard to tell where’s the best place for us. Is always been my dream to safari and as it’s our honeymoon would like to have a more luxury experience than we would usually go for. However with other things to do on our list our budget isn’t huge. We have been told sabi sands is the best to go but have also had recommendations for medikwe and moswari. Can anyone tell me if sabi sands is indeed the best? The main thing for me is not only amazing game drives and sighting possibility’s but also want to be able to look out of my balcony and see the watering hole and the animals. We plan to travel in March safari then onto Mauritius. Is this a good time to go? Many thanks

6 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
828 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: Best place for safari?

>>> would like to have a more luxury experience than we would usually go for. However with other things to do on our list our budget isn’t huge <<<

So to even begin to recommend anything, you will need to let us know your budget! If you cannot afford 300+USD per person per night then you will be eliminating most of the lodges in Sabi Sands...

Also, length of stay, time of year etc all help....

Sabi Sand does have fantastic game viewing for pretty much all of the year, but its not the only private reserve in the Greater Kruger so again, there are other options..

London, England...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Best place for safari?

Hi we re looking for 3 nights and looking at March maybe around the 8th. Our budget for 2 is max £3000 but if we can do something good for less we can have more to spend on other things ie Cape Town and Mauritius. Many thanks

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6,619 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: Best place for safari?

There are other private game reserves in greater Kruger. Sabi Sand is the best marketed (obviously) but the other unfenced reserves have excellent game viewing. Check out Kambaku River Sands, Simbavati and Senalala. All great lodge options, but there are many in greater Kruger.

£3000 for everything? Or just the safari portion?

In March, I’d recommend a beach stay in S Africa on the east coast. Try Thonga or Rocktail Lodges for exclusive beach and wildlife experiences in the pristine iSimangaliso Wetland Park. I know, everyone wants to do Mauritius but in March S Africa woukd be beautiful right on the beach on the Indian Ocean. Easier and less expensive to reach. You can also combine with a game reserve nearby for less traveling (and travel expense and time). Phinda and Leopard Mountain are excellent options. Just fly from Cape Town to Durban and everything is just a quick road transfer or easy drive away. Easy to get to Kruger too - there are nonstop flights to Nelspruit or connecting flights to the other Kruger airports from Durban.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
828 posts
41 reviews
4. Re: Best place for safari?

3000 pounds for 3 nights between 2 of you?

Or 3000 pounds for the whole trip?

If the first option, then you will have plenty of options in private reserves...

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Best place for safari?

it seems that you have already visited Mauritius ,in which case I would be tempted to save the money you would spend on flights and travel time to get there and spend all of your honeymoon in SA. From Kruger you can fly non stop to CT and perhaps spend some time in the beautiful Franschoek valley and Cape Town , both places offer upscale type accommodation you might like for a honeymoon.

Or take the suggestions of cbir .

I think that SA offers more diversity than Mauritus but not the same 'beach' experience e.g. sunbeds/sunshades , waiter service on beach, dining on the beach etc.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Best place for safari?

Kruger and Madikwe have many options and they are both great, i agree with the above comments, you could look at beach options in Mozambique aswell, easier to connect to from Kruger. Its definitely your preference and if you are looking at avoiding malaria areas then Mauritius and Madikwe would be a great combination.

If you do look at beach options in Moz or SA then maybe Phinda is also an option for your safari?

Sandy - owner - Love Africa Travel

Reply to: Best place for safari?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted