We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drive from santa rosa to wichita

Seabeck, Wa
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
drive from santa rosa to wichita

how are the roads while driving from Santa Rosa, nm to Wichita ks is you take hiway 54?

6 replies to this topic
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
135 reviews
1. Re: drive from santa rosa to wichita

I would take I-40 east to Oklahoma City, then I-35 north to Wichita. Interstate all the way.

The only drawback, the highway in Kansas is a toll road, but the toll is not out of line.

Going US 5t4, you have a lot of "go north, then go south, then go north again". And from Tucumcari it is mostly two lanes.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
2. Re: drive from santa rosa to wichita

I have relatives in Central Kansas, so I've been driving Albuquerque to Kansas for years. All of US54 has been repaved in recent years, and some segments are 4-lane divided. FYI: the entire Oklahoma Panhandle is a radar trap, so be aware, especially when passing through the little towns.

Two of my favorite restaurants are Del's at the east end of Tucumcari on the Business I-40 route, a.k.a. Tucumcari Blvd. It's been serving travelers since the Route 66 days. Good Mexican and American food.

At the east end of Liberal, try the Cattleman's II Restaurant. Good food and family type ambiance...as is Del's.

That area is so burned from lack of rain. I went up and back over US-54 in January...worst I'd ever seen it in thirty years. Have a safe trip!

I would not take the Interstates via OKC! US-54 goes NE then East...you can make very good time....except in the Oklahoma panhandle...40 miles!

Edited: 15 May 2012, 14:08
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,843 posts
86 reviews
3. Re: drive from santa rosa to wichita

Out of Santa Fe...I usually drive the more scenic(for Kansas)56/50...Fewer trucks...carracar

Fredericksburg, Va
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
4. Re: drive from santa rosa to wichita

Have taken US 54 on and off over the last 35 years. It is much improved and except for the small towns you'll pick em up and lay em down over the entire run. There is actually some magnificent scenery out there - just look at it with open eyes. Be careful in Dalhart Tx and the OK panhandle for smoky. Set the cruise at an easy 70-75 with no worries otherwise. Drive safe.

Edited: 28 January 2016, 22:11
1 post
5. Re: drive from santa rosa to wichita

Hi,

I am traveling from Wichita KS to Albuquerque NM in one day. Which way do you think would be easier driving/ shortest time of driving route?

Thanks

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,843 posts
86 reviews
6. Re: drive from santa rosa to wichita

The 54 will serve ... happy trails ... carracar

Reply to: drive from santa rosa to wichita
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Santa Rosa