We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Watkins Glen to Canandaigua in early June

Rectangular State
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Watkins Glen to Canandaigua in early June

Going to do the Watkins Glen gorge hike in the morning and have reservations in Canandaigua that evening. What is the best leisurely route for scenery? we are willing to stop at a state park or two along the way and even participate in a little more short and non-strenuous hiking if recommended. Thank you.

Lodi, New York
Level Contributor
733 posts
18 reviews
1. Re: Watkins Glen to Canandaigua in early June

Route 14 north along the west side of Seneca Lake is very scenic. From there, you could stop and stroll along the lake at Seneca Lake State Park in Geneva. The drive from Geneva to Canandaigua on Routes 5&20 isn't very scenic but it is rural, rolling farmland and it isn't very long (about 30 minutes).

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
11,204 posts
205 reviews
2. Re: Watkins Glen to Canandaigua in early June

I love the drive up NY-14 then NY-54 into Penn Yan then NY-14A, NY-364, NY-247 to US-20. Beautiful drive through rural farm country.

If you head to Geneva, there are many great places to eat and drink popping up there in the downtown area including the country's best new restaurant (USA Today):

democratandchronicle.com/story/…

Lodi, New York
Level Contributor
733 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Watkins Glen to Canandaigua in early June

I don't personally find the drive across 54 to Penn Yan particularly leisurely. It's narrow and hilly and you never know when you're going to encounter a buggy or a bicycle. Penn Yan itself doesn't hold much attraction for me, and as far as I'm concerned the only reason to travel on over to Naples and up the west side of Canandaigua Lake (even though it hasn't been suggested yet) is to stop at Monica's Pies! Now that is worth the trip in itself!

4. Re: Watkins Glen to Canandaigua in early June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2018, 13:18
Get answers to your questions about Canandaigua