We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in the Hamptons with just one afternoon

Which East Hampton hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia
10 posts
Save Topic
What to do in the Hamptons with just one afternoon

I'm looking for some fun (and inexpensive) ways to get the essence of a Hamptons vacation in just one afternoon.

Any interesting places to people watch or window shop? A good place (pretty beach or harbor) where I can sit and eat a picnic lunch?

Thanks so much!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,501 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in the Hamptons with just one afternoon

You can eat a picnic lunch at Main Beach in East Hampton but you'd have to either bike or walk or take a taxi there as there's no parking without a beach sticker. You can eat on a bench in the village (Main st. or Newtown Lane) and watch the world go by. There are a number of restaurants with outdoor tables like Babette's and Cittanova..

Philadelphia
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in the Hamptons with just one afternoon

That all sounds great!

Where would you suggest we park the car then if we can't park at Main Beach? Also, I thought that we could park at Main Beach for $20 on weekdays. Is that true? Regardless, it would be nice to park somewhere else for free if that is an option.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,501 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in the Hamptons with just one afternoon

You can pay for parking at main beach but it's $25 on weekdays. Elsewhere in the village it's free but only for 2 hrs. at a time and they do ticket.

http://www.easthamptonvillage.org/parking.htm

You can park in the village first and have a walk around to window shop and grab some food and then go to the beach. ;;)

Philadelphia
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in the Hamptons with just one afternoon

Great! Thanks so much!

Any places you would recommend (that are budget-conscious!) for grabbing some food to go?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,501 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in the Hamptons with just one afternoon

Across from the train station in East Hampton (on Railroad Ave. I think it's called) all the way at the end of Newtown Lane is a place called "Italian Specialty" that's supposed to have very good food (not just Italian) that's not that expensive. It's next to a tire place and a gym.

Depending on which direction you're coming from to get to East Hampton (?) there are lots of places just outside the village in both directions too.

Scoop Du Jour on Newtown Lane also has take away food and is known for their donuts and ice cream.

Philadelphia
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in the Hamptons with just one afternoon

Thank you so much! All this information is great.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,501 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do in the Hamptons with just one afternoon

From which direction are you coming to East Hampton?

Philadelphia
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do in the Hamptons with just one afternoon

We're coming down from Connecticut

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,501 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do in the Hamptons with just one afternoon

So are you taking a ferry from Bridgeport? I'm trying to give you some ideas of places you might want to stop and/or pick up food in addtion to East Hampton and I feel like I'm pulling teeth. ;) Are you just driving to EH for the day from Ct.?

Philadelphia
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do in the Hamptons with just one afternoon

Yes, we're taking the Orient Point - New London ferry. We're stopping by in East Hampton on our way down to Philadelphia.

Thanks for all your help!

Get answers to your questions about East Hampton
Recent Conversations