We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Balloon festival

New Hartford, NY
Level Contributor
39 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Balloon festival

I'm interested in coming to the area for the weekend of the adk balloon festival but don't want to go directly into the queensbury airport and get stuck in the traffic. Is there a good place near by to park and watch the balloons in flight?

4 replies to this topic
Lake George, New...
Destination Expert
for Lake George, Lake George
Level Contributor
2,181 posts
411 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Balloon festival

Tough question- because a lot will depend on prevailing winds. But generally you can be anywhere around the area and see the balloons when they go up but you may very well be quite a distance away therefore the view is limited. I.E. if you wait to the west and the winds carry the balloons east you are already at a visual disadvantage plus the height of the balloons . I understand wanting to avoid traffic getting there but it really is worth it

Lake George, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,181 posts
411 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Balloon festival

Thursday and Sunday there will be limited number of balloons in Crandall Park - perhaps that would be easier

www.adirondackballoonfest.org/schedule/

New Hartford, NY
Level Contributor
39 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Balloon festival

interesting option you propose, where is Crandell park and what do you mean by limited balloons? Thanks for the help with this. Also, can you recommend a hotel in the area. Don't really know lake George to say staying in one part vs another. Wouldn't mind being on lake, but not essential, like to walk. Price range $100-$225 a night, but would pay more for a really unique experience.

Mentioned in this post
Lake George
Lake George
1,794 Reviews
Lake George, NY
Lake George, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,181 posts
411 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Balloon festival

Crandall Park is roughly 5-7 miles south of Lake George in the town on Queensbury

Limited balloons would be maybe 20 or so

I am not the best to recommend a place to stay as I do not frequent the local hotels - I have a place here. But perhaps try the new Courtyard Marriott , the Ft William Henry. Hotel or www.adkbyowner.come

Mentioned in this post
Lake George
Lake George
1,794 Reviews
Lake George, NY
Queensbury
Queensbury
New York
Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center
Fort William Henry Hotel...
1,099 Reviews
Lake George, NY