We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places around Montauk LIRR to visit

1 post
Places around Montauk LIRR to visit

Me and my friend are planning to go to Montauk for a day from sayville. Please suggest some good places around Montauk LIRR station which can be covered walking though we are planning to take taxi to lighthouse. Car is not an option.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Cape May, Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
69 reviews
1. Re: Places around Montauk LIRR to visit

Taking a taxi to the lighthouse will be an expensive trip. The lighthouse is about 10+ miles from Montauk. There is a fee just to enter the parking lot of the lighthouse. Then what will you do with the taxi? Have them wait while you visit? That will cost more, that is if you can even get a cab to take you out there.

As far as walking around Montauk, if you have no issues walking, you will be fine. Montauk village is a fairly compact area, maybe a mile from the LIRR to the village and beach. If you want to go to the harbor area, that is probably a mile the opposite direction from the LIRR.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
18,604 posts
2. Re: Places around Montauk LIRR to visit

Trying to see the lighthouse by taxi will be very expensive - even if you have it drop you and come back later. You might see if there is bike rental - but it will take a while and I don;t know if there is anyplace to lock them up safely.

there are fishing trips and even whale watching from the dock - but you need to be there very early for fishing and I don;t know if the whales are in the area yet.

3. Re: Places around Montauk LIRR to visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2018, 01:18
Get answers to your questions about Montauk