We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montauk to JFK

Caringbah, Australia
6 posts
Montauk to JFK

Looking at staying in Montauk Next July 30th . Hopefully we can do 3 nights & drive to JFK to fly out the next day . Or is a 2/3 hr drive in summer going to look like 4/5 hrs. Meaning it’s safer to stay 2 nights & the last night closer to JFK.

12 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
982 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Montauk to JFK

Depends on the day and the time that you are driving. If it’s a Tuesday for a 5am flight, no problem if it’s a Sunday for a 9pm flight, that’s a problem. If you have the day of the week and time that you need to be at JFK I could give you specific advice.

Caringbah, Australia
6 posts
2. Re: Montauk to JFK

Thanks for your reply, the flight is on a Friday, 11am.

With the kids I can do an early start but not a 4am start.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
982 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Montauk to JFK

The flight is at 11am or you have to be at JFK at 11am? Please let me know when you need to be at JFK on a Friday morning so I can give you specific advice.

Caringbah, Australia
6 posts
4. Re: Montauk to JFK

The flight is 11am & have been advised we should be there 2hrs before + we will have a car to return. If traffic is ok then a 2/3 hr drive (with hopefully 1quick stop). Thinking a 6am start ??

But if traffic is worse that time of year then that might mean we miss our flight, getting up earlier is pushing it with kids on holiday mode. ?? Your thoughts ?? Is it safer to stay the last night closer??

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
982 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Montauk to JFK

The only traffic you will hit is usual Friday morning rush hour, not seasonal Summer traffic. In Nassau Co. the traffic starts around 7:45-8am in Queens it starts around 7:30ish so if you want to be at JFK by 8am I would leave Montauk at 5am. It’s up to you to decide if it’s worth it for your family to get up early just to get a few more hours of beach.

Another option with more sleep and less beach time would be pay for for the Montauk hotel for Thurs. night (so you can use it all day) but leave early and drive to Queens after 6:30pm. Have another hotel booked in Queens for Thurs., check in there and sleep the full night.

It all depends on how your family works and their sleep needs.

Edited: 12 October 2018, 05:13
Caringbah, Australia
6 posts
6. Re: Montauk to JFK

Thanks so much for your help , have some thinking to do !!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
982 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: Montauk to JFK

Enjoy! Montauk and the East End are Fantastic.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
104,931 posts
13 reviews
8. Re: Montauk to JFK

You can't make an 11 am flight from JFK and return a rental car driving from Montauk. Leave the day before and get rid of the car Thurs. night. Returning a car at JFK is very time consuming. The Hampton Inn, Courtyard and Hilton Garden Inn all at JFK are fine for a night.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
13,616 posts
31 reviews
9. Re: Montauk to JFK

The JFK rental car return is at the same location as the shuttle pickup for JFK airport hotels. That's what I'd do.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Cape May, Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
3,259 posts
69 reviews
10. Re: Montauk to JFK

3 hours is optimistic to get from Montauk to JFK on a Friday morning. Leaving at 6am will put you right in the middle of the Suffolk/Nassau rush hour towards NYC. Then you still have to drop off the rental. Way too tight.

I would take the advice of others, and in some way get to the JFK area the night before, eat dinner on the way back, drop the rental, spend the night at a hotel with a shuttle you can pick up right there.

Reply to: Montauk to JFK
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted