We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shellfish!!

Ireland
9 posts
Save Topic
Shellfish!!

Hi everyone

I would appreciate your thoughts on this slightly strange query! My boyfriend and I are travelling to Zanzibar in October hopefully staying in Echo Beach which looks amazing as does the sample menus on their website. I adore all types of sea food especially shellfish but when we went to the doctor (Tropical Medical Bureau) to get our vaccines for the trip he warned us off eating shellfish. Is this something we really need to worry about especially in what looks like a really well run place like Echo Beach?!! I will be very disappointed if so!!

Many thanks in advance for your help

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,917 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shellfish!!

See my reply to your other post. Shellfish can give problems anywhere in the world.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shellfish!!

I would ask the physician to be more specific then warning you off shellfish. Does he have some specific information about shellfish in Zanzibar.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Shellfish!!

Just came back from Zanzibar 3 weeks ago (have been there 3 times in the past 3 years). Each time I take full advantage of the nightly seafood market in Stone Town. The seafood is fresh, and beyond delicious.

I have never had any issues with the seafood I've eaten in Zanzibar......in fact, the Zanzibar seafood has spoiled me and I miss it greatly when I order seafood elsewhere in restaurants.

Perhaps the physician is going on hearsay or printed material from some source???? Would be beneificial to inquire with the physician as to his/her source of info.

cheers. Have a great time in Zanzibar. You will LOVE IT!!!

4. Re: Shellfish!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2011, 00:17