We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress

Coarsegold, ca
Level Contributor
23 posts
Dress

I know this may seem like an odd question, but what is the typical style of dressing for women in Oia. I was there for so short of time last time that I didn't pay attention. Is it on the modest side? Is having tattoos showing acceptable, or is that something that should be more covered up? I don't really remember seeing many people at all with tattoos anywhere in Greece. What are some typical things women in their mid 20's wear there? I know I'm going to stick out as a tourist, but I also like to be respectful of the culture when I go places. I know the rules when going to churches.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,931 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Dress

When in doubt dress conservatively, but casual dress is fine in most situations.

Santorini
Level Contributor
332 posts
1 review
2. Re: Dress

Agree with BLL but casual as in shorts, tshirts, sleeveless tops are acceptable in most places.....

However, if going to restaurants which are more upscale than tavernas you should dress more conservatively.

westmidlands
Level Contributor
74 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Dress

During the day, Oia has many tour buses arrive so anything seems to go dress wise but people wearing just swim wear tend to look out of place and sometimes the fashion police should be on duty but thats another story!!! I would advise caution with the footwear though. high heeled shoes are not the best to wear on the cobbles and the marble pavements can be very slippy if wet. Going up and down the many steps in a long dress or skirt is also a bit of an art to master. But generally as has been said before causal is fine even for dinner . If people are on a special romantic dinner, they do tend to dress up accordingly. being very pratical- I tend to take a pashmina or similar for eveings when you are outside eating and it can get quite windy in parts of the village.

Beaumont, Texas USA
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Dress

Just as in the USA, tattoos seem fairly popular with the younger age group. I am not a fan of them, but my adult daughter has a couple, and even our Greek family members did not have any problem with that. If you have MANY tattoos, that would be more unusual, and people (especially older people) might stare... having them covered might make you feel less of a spectacle!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
379 posts
5. Re: Dress

If you have tattoos also consider what you have and what that might mean to the locals.

Good experience:

I almost got in a bar fight with a Scotsman and an Irishman at a bar in Dublin but they saw my Irish flag tattoo and suddenly everything was hunky-dory and we're buying each other drinks. Weird, I know. However, that might not have gone so well in Liverpool.

(potentially) Bad experience: I have a tattoo in Arabic on my arm and it's gotten some stares in Greece and some other countries (including the US).

Just an FYI: consider the population and that the symbolism you see in your tattoo won't be the same as what others see.

6. Re: Dress

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2011, 02:00