We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air or ferry from Mykonos to Santorini? Need final decision!

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
121 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Air or ferry from Mykonos to Santorini? Need final decision!

I have read all of the posts and information on the boards. Everyone is super helpful so thank you!!! Here is my dilemna: We are departing Mykonos to go to Santorini on Sunday May 13th. Olympic Air costs est. $389 eu (2 people) but it leaves at a good time and gets to Thira the earliest of all the options. The least amount of travel time wasted in the day. From what I understand it is also the most reliable.

Taking the SeaJet2 to Paros and then BlueStar to Thira is MUCH cheaper at $150.00 eu (2 people) and more adventurous and scenic, but it does get to Thira 2 hours later than the air option at 3:30PM. I also understand that SeaJets do have cancellations and might not be 100% reliable. Hellenic's schedule does not fit with BlueStar's for that day and is too late.

Who thinks it is best to just spend the $230.00 extra on air and not worry about the risk of ferry cancellations? Am I being overly concerned about that risk? Would hate to have a cancellation and then have to shuffle hotels around and lose more money to make it all happen. Seems like there is really only time to make one choice for that day and if something goes wrong, then that travel day is over.

Help!!!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,825 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air or ferry from Mykonos to Santorini? Need final decision!

Breakdowns do happen from time to time but there's no way to predict them. So.........., which would you rather spend, 2 hours or an extra €239?

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Air or ferry from Mykonos to Santorini? Need final decision!

I think SeaJet is being over-demonized on this forum. I travelled on it on many occasions and have yet to experience a cancellation. All I can say about it is that is notoriuosly late. Anyway, if SeaJet2 to Paros is cancelled, you will still have two more options open to get to Santorini on that day (SuperJet and Flying Cat). May is not a very windy month as fas as I remember and I can't believe all three catamarans will have the misfortune of suffering a mechanical failure on that day.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,340 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air or ferry from Mykonos to Santorini? Need final decision!

You need to decide on Mykonos and then buy tickets, far easier than theorising about future unpredicabilities. Yet more sitting around in airport departure lounges does not attract me to the Greek Islands that's for sure.

There will be the direct Flyingcat 4 any way, so you don't have to go via Paros.

I have used the Seajet 2 many times in May/June and there's never been a problem.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
121 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air or ferry from Mykonos to Santorini? Need final decision!

Time is important to us. We want to be on Santorini sooner rather than later. This is why I figured either Olympic Air (even with the layover in Athens) or the SeaJet2 would be the best options based on the posted schedules as of this morning.

Flying Cat doesn't leave Mykonos until 3PM and gets there late in the day. Don't want to show up at dinner time when we can be there in the afternoon.

If SeaJet is notoriously late, then if it ends up being late the day we travel and we get to Paros too late to catch the Blue Star ferry, then what? There is only one ferry leaving Paros to Santorini. Seems we are then stuck on Paros for the night.

Brotherlee - You may have helped me answer my question. I think I already knew that even 2 more hours on Santorini is worth the extra money ;) This is a big trip for us and if we have to spend another small chunk of cash on a flight that we can be sure about, will give us that little bit of extra time to enjoy the island and will be less stress related, then for us...it is worth it!

Thanks to all for the feedback. I appreciate all of your points.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,825 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air or ferry from Mykonos to Santorini? Need final decision!

At least take a look at the Aegean Airlines website. You may be able to find some cheaper flights.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Air or ferry from Mykonos to Santorini? Need final decision!

I see you made your decision but I wanted to add just a word of explanation. By "notoriously late" I meant some 30 minutes, not 1,5h so you won't be able to catch the Blue Star and not SeaJet2 which is on a very short route Rafina- Paros and most probably in the morning is right on schedule. I meant the other Seajet ferry, SuperJet, which is o a very long route from Piraeus through almost all the Cyclades and delays tend to build up during the day.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
121 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air or ferry from Mykonos to Santorini? Need final decision!

Brotherlee - Thanks! Will check them as well.

Ozzlem - Thank you for following up. It sounds better! However, I think we are still leaning towards spending more money and getting to Santorini at 1:30 instead of 3:30 or 5:30 or 6:30pm :)

How much time do we need to be at the airport prior to departure? With these small interisland flights I am assuming not 2 hours. If our flight leaves Mykonos at 9:45am would getting there at about 9:00am be sufficient?

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,825 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air or ferry from Mykonos to Santorini? Need final decision!

An hour would be better. It can get crowded, especially if there are charter flights coming and going, and there aren't a lot of ticket agents at check-in.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,279 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Air or ferry from Mykonos to Santorini? Need final decision!

I'm sure you have your reasons, but respectfully, it seems bizarre that you would want to spend all that time flying and sitting in airport terminals when you could be on a ferry seeing some of the most beautiful sights in Greece. SeaJet 2 leaves Mykonos old harbour and takes about 45 minutes to reach Paros.

Board the new Blue Star Delos at Paros and you will see the Portara as the ferry docks at Naxos, passes by several more Cycladic islands, and then, for a grand finale, the cliffside villages as the ship sails into the Santorini caldera.

You asked: "If SeaJet is notoriously late, then if it ends up being late the day we travel and we get to Paros too late to catch the Blue Star ferry, then what?" Well, then you wait for the 2:55pm FlyingCat 4. You might also ask yourself "What will happen if the flight to Athens is late and we miss our connection to Santorini?" Truth is, neither is likely to happen. ;o)

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
121 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air or ferry from Mykonos to Santorini? Need final decision!

Heimdall - thank you for another perspective and some suggestions. Will take another look at this. The time in the airport terminals is about 3 hours total and our main goal is to get to Santorini as early as possible. Again, we really do not want to arrive in Santorini at or past dinner time. This is why it was worth it to us to spend time in the airports rather than on the ocean. Will take your other suggestions into advisement however and see what we think.