We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to NYC

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
76 posts
25 reviews
Train to NYC

Hi!

We planned on driving to Poughkeepsie and leaving our car there in August then hop on a train to NYC for 3 nights. Would we have trouble finding a parking spot as I'm unsure if that's considered short or long term parking. Any help is appreciated.

5 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
19,038 posts
1. Re: Train to NYC

I don't believe it has any long-term parking - just permit parking for locals and metered parking for others - with a max of 24 hours. But I would repost with a specific question about parking at Poughkeepsie metroNorth station (unless you want to take much more expensive Amtrak) that a local familiar with the lot might see. Frequently these stations are full before 8 am with commuters but I don't know this station.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
76 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: Train to NYC

Thank you, I’ll try posting in a different forum,

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
20,639 posts
3. Re: Train to NYC

The garage has over 1000 spaces and people have reported using it for longer term parking.

You can contact the garage operator for clarification as0.mta.info/mnr/stations/station_detail.cfm…

Edited: 21 July 2018, 11:44
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
76 posts
25 reviews
4. Re: Train to NYC

Thanks!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Train to NYC

I am a bit late in posting this but it may be helpful for another time. We have driven to Syracuse from Ottawa and taken the Express bus to NYC. I think you can also catch a train there, but not a commuter train. The bus is very convenient and parking is readily available. Used to be $5 for five days. That may have changed, but probably still pretty good. The bus station in Syracuse is very near the Carousel Mall. The Express bus gets you right downtown in NYC.

Reply to: Train to NYC
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted