We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island Camping

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
32 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Island Camping

Hey guys. This Friday night my boyfriend and I will be island camping (Duck Island woo hoo!) in the lower lake region. This is our first time island camping so I had a few (admittedly dumb) questions...

What are pests/rodents/bears like on the islands? St Regis sent me a checklist and it said something about hanging up food (and I realize it's a checklist for any campground) but I'm not sure if that's necessary on the island?

Is there a place in the Saranac Lake area I'd be able to buy a map of the islands or should I plan on printing/laminating my own?

What are other good tips for first timers? I've done backcountry camping and such before... but nothing that involves taking a canoe to a site. Pretty excited... except for...

Just how miserable is camping in the rain in late May? Hahaha. I planned this trip a few months ago forgetting just how different the weather is up in NY as opposed to Philly. Whoops!

Mentioned in this post
Saranac Lake
Saranac Lake
115 Reviews
Saranac Lake, NY
hudson valley
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Island Camping

Not familiar with that spot, but the most likely pests on islands will be porcupines, raccoons, and mice. On some islands I'd figure the chance of a bear is extremely low, but it only takes 500' of swimming to get to Duck Island, and a bear can easily do that. Probably still unlikely, but hanging a bear bag is a good preventative measure. FWIW, on one of my first hikes in the ADK I met half a dozen groups hiking out on Saturday because they'd all lost their food to a bear on Friday night.

Odds are you can find a map there. As a popular tourist area I'd expect that there are maps of the lakes, and if nothing else you might find an Adirondack Mountain Club hiking map. Sounds like you may be renting a canoe, so start there. If you want to print your own the NY DEC has a campground brochure with a map here: …ny.gov/docs/…saranaclakeisl2016.pdf

It should be obvious, but make sure that important stuff is waterproof for the paddle over. Capsizing may be unlikely if it's not rough, but a soggy sleeping bag will make for a miserable night. Similarly, hope for good weather but prepare for rain. If you stay dry camping in the rain isn't miserable. If it's warm enough I'm perfectly happy biking, hiking, or canoeing in the rain as long as it's not raining too hard. I'm also not opposed to going out wearing polypro thermal underwear and light shorts when it's a little cooler and rainy. Having a tarp to protect the picnic table (assuming there is one) will make things a bit nicer. Make sure to tilt it or run a line all the way under the middle so you don't just make a giant catch basin. Using 1" nylon lashing straps as anchors is a good idea to protect the trees.

Mentioned in this post
Adirondack Motel
Adirondack Motel
166 Reviews
Saranac Lake, NY
2. Re: Island Camping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2018, 12:18
Get answers to your questions about Saranac Lake