We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

teetering on the edge of booking!!!!

Which Grand Baie hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Yorkshire
Level Contributor
64 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
teetering on the edge of booking!!!!

We have more or less decided to go to Mauritius in August but just wanted to check some things out....

I know we should go north or west for better weather - are the pools and sea warm enough at this time of year?

Also, we are taking 2 teenagers 14 and 17 who are happy to do beach/watersports etc but we do not want to be too isolated just in the hotel. Which areas/hotels are best for getting to restaurants etc? In your opinion which is the nicest resort area to walk around eg Grand Baie, Flic en Flac etc?

Thanks

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,391 posts
1,663 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: teetering on the edge of booking!!!!

Grand Baie or its vicinity is a good area especially at that time of the year. I was in Mauritius last July. I found the pool and sea warm even on overcast days.

For teenagers, GB is more lively compared to other areas of Mauritius especially the eastern part where you are more restricted to your hotel.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
37,621 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: teetering on the edge of booking!!!!

Grand Baie is much bigger and has more shops, bars, nightclubs and restaurants than Flic en Flac.

Flic is essentially a smaller version of GB.

Nice long natural beaches at Flic though but the equally nice Trou aux Biches and Mon Choisy beaches are close to GB

We go to both, as well as east and south, though not in August when as you rightly say north and west are better fo the weather.

Bronia :)

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
64 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: teetering on the edge of booking!!!!

thanks for your helpful replies. We have just had a quote for La Mauricia but have been slightly put off by mixed reviews and comments about the sea being oily and not great for swimming. We have had an alternative quote for Legends but this is pricier - it it worth the extra money? Which is your favourite hotel in the north or west?

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
64 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: teetering on the edge of booking!!!!

thanks for your helpful replies. We have just had a quote for La Mauricia but have been slightly put off by mixed reviews and comments about the sea being oily and not great for swimming. We have had an alternative quote for Legends but this is pricier - it it worth the extra money? Which is your favourite hotel in the north or west?

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,621 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: teetering on the edge of booking!!!!

Legends is more geared towards couples and is pretty much isolated. It would take about 45 minutes to G Baie.

Look at Flic en Flac.

Sugar Beach and La Pirogue are sister hotels and you use facilities at both. Family orientated.

Also look at Hilton at Flic.

www.sugarbeachresort.com

www.lapirogue.com

www.mauritius.hilton.com

Also look at other hotels in the Naiade group besides Legends:

www.naiade.com

Never heard of oily water before though....

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
18,100 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: teetering on the edge of booking!!!!

Excellent hotel advice from Bronia, I've never heard or seen any oily water either - what a strange comment!

Mazza :-)

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,621 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: teetering on the edge of booking!!!!

Just had quick look at Le Mauricia reviews and saw one which mentioned oily water from ? ships and one suspect review by someone from Rosehill which is in Mauritius so would be inclined to query that one.

Others seem generally positive.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
64 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: teetering on the edge of booking!!!!

Thanks for your advice.

Surrey England
Level Contributor
13 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: teetering on the edge of booking!!!!

I know what is meant by "oily water" as it is quite common where a lot of outboard motors (2" stroke)tend to lay a bit of oil on the surface. They can't get the parts you see. The more boats the more chance. Grand Baie can suffer as there are a lot of boats in the harbour.

My advice would be to catch the bus to Pereybere or many of the public beaches on the coast arround there.

Not sure about the nightlife for teenagers as G-Baie is pretty quiet compared to a British resort but there is some. Taxis are cheap so you don't have to be restricted to staying in town.

Also don't feel you have to go all inclusive as the local resturaunts are good and good value. In fact I feel that All Inc will mean you lose out on a great part of your holiday. You could be anywhere hot, but that is just our opinion.

JNB
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: teetering on the edge of booking!!!!

I have been to a number of resorts and can honestly say have a look at Le Victoria on the west coast. During main holiday times they also do informal activities with teens, like a bike ride to surrounding areas etc etc. We stayed in an amazing Apartment with two bedrooms and took the all inclusive upgrade which was so well worth it ... the kids can eat and drink and no worries about your final bill.

My two cents on Le Mauricia .... it is a good hotel - great for young people wanting a party and easy access to Grand bay, but my choice of the two is Le Vic.

Get answers to your questions about Grand Baie
Recent Conversations