We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seneca Lake activities for July?

Cornwall, New York
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Seneca Lake activities for July?

My husband, two teenage daughters and I have rented a house on Seneca Lake the second week in July...we are looking for suggestions for the following ( assuming we will spend time on the water and on the wine trail :-): activities for teens? restaurant suggestions? Is the water warm enough to swim in by then?

Any advice or suggestions greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Lodi, New York
Level Contributor
733 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seneca Lake activities for July?

The lake will likely be warm enough for your daughters, but it never really gets warm. If it's really hot out I can manage a quick dip at that time of the year. There are boat rentals available at either end of the lake. You can also rent kayaks, canoes or paddle boats at Fuzzy Guppies on the Seneca-Cayuga Canal. It's really a lovely setting and because there's no wake allowed on the canal it's perfect for those activities. They also have human hamster balls--so much fun!!! The RiverPark Grille is nearby, as is Scoops RiverPark Ice Cream. You can also take boat tours on the canal and go through the locks, which is very cool! I believe that there are several options available, but a quick search for Seneca-Cayuga Canal tours will likely give you that info. We took a wildlife cruise last summer that took us from Seneca Falls through the locks and through Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge. We saw so many more eagles and osprey than you do by car, but you can drive through the refuge as well.

There are many options for dining depending upon price and cuisine, but The Deluxe in Geneva is very popular. If you're hiking the gorge in Watkins Glen, Mr. Chicken is a great lunch spot. On the east side, there's the Stonecat Cafe, Red Newt Cellars, Dano's on Seneca, and Suzanne Fine Regional Cuisine. All of those places have websites that you can check out. If you get over to Cayuga Lake, The Creamery is a must visit. Taughannock Falls State Park has one of the highest waterfalls in the northeast, with a beautiful trail along the creek to the base of the falls and a developed beach area on the lake with concessions. Cayuga Lake will be warmer than Seneca as it's a good bit shallower. You could also take a day trip into Ithaca, where there's a fabulous farmers market on the waterfront on Saturdays and several state parks with hiking trails and more waterfalls. The Cornell Campus is really beautiful too. The Boatyard Grill is one of my favorite restaurants in Ithaca.

Edited: 28 March 2012, 10:22
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
7,468 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seneca Lake activities for July?

The water temp is (usually) in the mid 60's by then. A don't miss in the Ithaca area is Robert Treman State Park - a great hike w/marvelous and diverse beauty. The swimming area there in the lower end of the park is great (you can swim out to the waterfall and sit under it - quite sublime (IMHO) - there is also a diving board) but the area is often crowded. If you go and don't want to hike be sure to go to the upper park for the views. I second the previous poster's east side of Seneca lake dining suggestions and the Ithaca market.

In Ithaca, I recommend Just a Taste for a great meal.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
7,468 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seneca Lake activities for July?

I forgot to mention that there is also a great little lunch spot in the village of Burdett called the Grist Mill.

Amesbury, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seneca Lake activities for July?

flmillcreek - i love the sound of the cruise you did from seneca falls through the wildlife refuge - just wondering if you can tell me who you booked this through? thanks

Lodi, New York
Level Contributor
733 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seneca Lake activities for July?

It was aboard the Rose Lummis: http://www.fingerlakesboattours.com/. We were on one of the first wildlife tours and there weren't many people. I truly hope that the tour increases in popularity. It's so much fun!!! We'll definitely go again this summer.

6. Re: Seneca Lake activities for July?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 16:15
Get answers to your questions about Watkins Glen